Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,792   Online: 900

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arista Question

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mccolalx View Post
    I'm not convinced that it is Tri-X. .
    I have to agree with you on this. Even though I am relatively new to film this time around, it just seems to me missing/lacking something. Oh well, which taste better New Coke or Old Coke... it's still Coke.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Having used both tri-x and ap 400 before, they are the exact same film, but I think the ap 400 is a slghtly lower quality film, as far as grain and pushability.
    Ap 100 is plus x, and, like mentioned before, arista edu is fomapan 100 and 400. That stuff is a spring with backing paper.
    I would grovel for some arista II.
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never used the (claimed) Arista OEM Tri-X, but have seen sensitometric readings from both versions and tonally they are identical.

I have used a fair amount of the Arista Ultra.EDU, and while I love the tonality of all three emulsions in 35mm, 120, and 4x5 - I am dissatisfied with the quality control, how easily it scratches, and how the 120 film base curls.
    I don't know what causes pinholes in the emulsion, but I know I get them on films that were developed in the same tank as Tri-X or HP5+ and the Kodak/Ilford were fine.

To me it's false economy to use them. Most of the time they're fine, but I'd rather pay 90 cents extra and get Neopan 100 or 400 (in 120).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick-in-LB View Post
    it just seems to me missing/lacking something
    i think that it's something in the grain structure...it just doesn't seem to have the same depth that actual Tri-X has. it's hard to describe, but something "feels" a little different about the Arista.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mccolalx View Post
    i think that it's something in the grain structure...it just doesn't seem to have the same depth that actual Tri-X has. it's hard to describe, but something "feels" a little different about the Arista.
    Perhaps it's the price?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin