Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,958   Online: 774

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arista Question

Shooter
    35mm

Arista Question

Has anybody used Arista films before? I can't find a lot, but the price of the films is certainly right. I was looking at getting some cheap 35mm and 120 to practice development on. I don't need art gallery print quality, so I would be fine with mid-range quality. Besides, I'd rather not mess up development on something that costs $4+ a roll.

Thanks for helo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Arista Premium is good old Kodak Tri-x. Wicked awesome film.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    There are many recent APUG threads on this topic, such as this one or this one. In brief, Freestyle uses a number of suppliers for their house brands. For film, these are currently Foma (Arista.EDU Ultra), Kodak (Arista Premium), and Fuji (Legacy Pro). All accounts indicate that the house brand stuff is as good as the branded equivalents, but this is based on user reports, not laboratory data. There's also some uncertainty about whether the house brand films are identical in all respects to the name brands; they could be slightly different emulsions -- although if they are, the differences seem small. Note that there are of course differences between suppliers -- by all accounts, Kodak and Fuji have much better quality control than Foma, for instance. Since both Kodak and Foma products get the "Arista" label (and others have had that label in the past), it's hard to make judgments about Arista film generally; you need to ask about the specific product.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've used a ton of 120 Arista.EDU Ultra in 100 and 400, and that was Foma. The package says 'Czech Republic'. Freestyle offers (or had offered) a further break at 20+ rolls, it's a great price, a great learner film. I've done lots of portrait sessions with it and still use it. It does not lay flat. Under any circumstances. If negative curl freaks you out, then stick with the majors. That's my small contribution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only shot one roll so far,I had a major problem getting the stuff to load into a patterson ratchet reel. It seems the base feels extremely thin, and kept wrinkling, and just wouldn't load. I've switched to stainless reels and tank, and solved that problem. overall it seems fine enough,but I'm notas fanatical as some. So far I like it, the caveat, is to shoot a ton of it, then a ton of hi-buck celluloid, and compare. Personally I am just gonna shoot it, and continue to adjust to the films quirks. This is mainly a financial decision, I will occasionally tinker with other films, probably some IR. I enjoy the darkroom more than shooting , I only shoot to satisfy my lab jones.
    SSOOO-- keep your inner eye on soft focus, and shoot to satisfy your vision!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    I've only shot one roll so far,I had a major problem getting the stuff to load into a patterson ratchet reel. It seems the base feels extremely thin, and kept wrinkling, and just wouldn't load. !
    The new AP plastic reels with blocks make it easier to load 120, 127.

They do have to be taken appart to get the film out of mind you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    I've only shot one roll so far,I had a major problem getting the stuff to load into a patterson ratchet reel. It seems the base feels extremely thin, and kept wrinkling, and just wouldn't load. I've switched to stainless reels and tank, and solved that problem. overall it seems fine enough,but I'm notas fanatical as some. So far I like it, the caveat, is to shoot a ton of it, then a ton of hi-buck celluloid, and compare. Personally I am just gonna shoot it, and continue to adjust to the films quirks. This is mainly a financial decision, I will occasionally tinker with other films, probably some IR. I enjoy the darkroom more than shooting , I only shoot to satisfy my lab jones.
    SSOOO-- keep your inner eye on soft focus, and shoot to satisfy your vision!
    Which Arista film did you try?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Arista II iso 400 did I mention the crazy curling, and a touch of piping? All in all I am going to shoot 19 more rolls (I bought a pile to teach my wife and daughter) with help.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Arista II (no longer available) was/is good old Agfa APX. I don't recall hearing much about Agfa film curling, nowhere near as many as Foma anyway.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've been using the Arista Premium 400, which everyone says is Tri-X.
    While it's a good film (especially for the price), I'm not convinced that it is Tri-X.
    I developed 2 rolls of Arista Premium and 2 rolls of genuine Tri-X @1250 in Diafine (1 roll of each in 2 separate Patterson tanks). I accidentally used exhausted fixer (grabbed the wrong jug) and it severely streaked each roll of the Arista, but the Tri-X was pretty much unaffected. I've also noticed that it is a good bit harder to remove the purple tint from the Arista than it is to get it out of the Tri-X (anyone with any suggestions?).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin