Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,624   Online: 851

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    interesting...

I have always wanted to do a similar trick with 120 cameras---since I can just register the film using the window at the back & peek at frame numbers
    Yeah! (You have to rewind 120 manually to start over, but no biggie there).
    And if you shoot with TLR's or mf with full frame ground glass, you can use a laundry marker on the ground glass to draw where everything was in the first go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    most use a small gear with 8 teeth...you can see it when you open the camera...a couple teeth slightly protrude & engage the film

re: IR sensors....but they don't know WHICH sprocket hole it is...so wouldn't you still need the alignment mark?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    Yeah! (You have to rewind 120 manually to start over, but no biggie there).
    And if you shoot with TLR's or mf with full frame ground glass, you can use a laundry marker on the ground glass to draw where everything was in the first go.
    oh yeah, forgot about the rewinding part....got kinda messy last time I tried it...kinks in film/paper

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "My Nikon F5 doesn't use a IR sensor, how does it count then?"

Either the Nikon F5 is not modern, or it does the counting mechanically without the aid of IR.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    since IR sensors are likely to fog IR film....what pro cameras use IR sensors?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    My Nikon F5 doesn't use a IR sensor, how does it count then?
    It does it mechanically, just like the Pentax LX did 28 years a go...
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you really can't get the leader out manually, you could always visit a photo lab that still processes film. They'll usually have an electric one to get leaders out nice and quick.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you really can't get the leader out manually, you could always open the cassette with a bottle opener. What's good for a beer bottle is good for the film cassette too. Take the spool out, find the leader, then get it back in, while putting the leader between the lips of the cassette. This way, you don't have 1,5+ meters of film hanging...

Even if you don't have an opener, you can always open the cassette from the lips. Just use your nails to bend them. This should give you enough room to bend the metal foil around the cassette and get the leader out. To be honest, I don't really recommend this (barbaric) method as you might scratch your film, although the only time I did it the negs were fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had fridge stored film with the leader bent inside the cassette.Impossible for me to retrieve it and my local camera shop couldn't do it either.
    Here's the solution.In a light tight closet or changing bag pop the film open.Employ a reusable plastic film cassette to respool the film & tape it in place.Might not be able to use it in your DX coding camera but will work in a full manual one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    since IR sensors are likely to fog IR film....what pro cameras use IR sensors?
    I know the Canon 1V does, but it is shielded so you can use IR film.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin