Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,008   Online: 1148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New TMAX400 in Pyrocat HD

Just mixed up a new batch, and was wondering if anyone has tried the new TMax 400 with Pyrocat. I would appreciate others comments on how it looks, times, EI's etc.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a great combination, I use it in 120 and 4x5. I generally rate TMY-2 at 320EI and develop for 15 minutes at 70 degrees (21C), agitating every minute.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ditto what Richard said. A marvelous combination. I'm using rotary processing for 4x5 and 8x10, 2:2:100 for 8 minutes. Prints at Grade 2.5 on Ilford MGIV and Grade 2 Slavich using PF 130 1:2. Quite satisfactory. Exposed at advertised speed asa 400.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tony, here's a negative scan developed per above. I tweaked it to resemble the print made on Slavich paper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buffskull_neq_001.jpg  
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tony, this negative is what sold me on the new Kodak Tmax 400. Contrast range on the subject was extreme yet the main body is very flat. Developed in Pyrocat HD with extreme minimal agitation. The negative came out very dense requiring split grade printing.
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Alex,

Unless the monitor is deceiving my eyes that negative sure has some pronounced edge effects?

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Tony, this negative is what sold me on the new Kodak Tmax 400. Contrast range on the subject was extreme yet the main body is very flat. Developed in Pyrocat HD with extreme minimal agitation. The negative came out very dense requiring split grade printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Alex,

Unless the monitor is deceiving my eyes that negative sure has some pronounced edge effects?

Sandy
    Yeah Sandy, it does. Highly necessary for this very bland rock formation and I cooked it extra hard just for that reason. However, some of this you see may be accentuated by the scanning process.
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am trying this combo as well, but I am rating the film at 200. 400 just seemed a little too thin for me. Shooting in 8x10, trying to decide if I like it enough to order some 8x20. Processing in a JOBO at the recommended times.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Michael,

I meter with BTZS incident type metering, i.e. exposure is based on one single shadow value reading, but effective film speed is doubled. So I rate TMY at EI 800 and expose based on the single shadow value reading. With this procedure I get more than enough exposure in open shadows.

One could also take a shadow value incident reading, and one in the highlights, and average the two, using box film speed. However, my main concern is to not lose any open shadow detail so I take the meter to the shadows and read there.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    I am trying this combo as well, but I am rating the film at 200. 400 just seemed a little too thin for me. Shooting in 8x10, trying to decide if I like it enough to order some 8x20. Processing in a JOBO at the recommended times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, thanks everyone, especially Alex. I have just started trying TMY, developing in XTOL, and it seems an excellent emulsion. Will give it a go in Pyrocat, which is my favourite developer.
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin