Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,362   Online: 985

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Basically, photographic printing papers are made up of two parts; the base, which could be fiber or RC,..
    Not ... quite...

*Most* paper bases are fiber. Ilford does make color papers with plastic bases - I think Kodak does also... but "RC" indicates that the fiber base itself is layered on both sides with polyethylene and is generally impervious to liquids ... yeah, yeah, I know, not the edges ... see "generally".

Having the base impermeable saves it form being soaked with liquid, therefore requiring long wash times, and curling, which, in itself is enough to "sell" me.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to get really picky, platinum and Van Dyke and cyantoype are technically not emulsions either, since the sensitizer is applied directly to the base and is not dispersed evenly in a 'carrier' layer that sits on top of the base. In a silver gelatin print, the light sensitive silver compounds are suspended in a layer of gelatin. In most hand coated alt processes (excluding albumen, in which the albumen is the carrier layer) the light sensitive compounds are applied directly to the base and are soaked up by the paper fibers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    so, does Websters have a gallery and a website?

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Van dyke and platinum sensitizers are not colloidal solutions, they are saturated solutions. i stand by my statement

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SNIP
    Quote Originally Posted by mvjim
    Also both RC and Fiber are considered Silver Gelatin.
    close snip

Well, if you're right, it's brand new to me. I have seen exhibits where a distinction is made between "Silver Gelatin" and "Fiber Based" images; where P/P images are display they are duly noted as such.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm with mvjim. Both RC and fiber based B&W images are usually called "silver gelatin" in galleries and museums (unless, obviously, they are some other process). It is possible that in a gallery where prints are offered for sale, something may also be said about the substrate, but "silver gelatin" refers only to the emulsion.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1 : a gelatinous or mucinous substance found in tissues in disease (as in the thyroid) or normally
    2 a : a substance that consists of particles dispersed throughout another substance which are too small for resolution with an ordinary light microscope but are incapable of passing through a semipermeable membrane b : a mixture consisting of a colloid together with the medium in which it is dispersed

Platinum and Van Dyke and cyanotype solutions do not contain particles- they are dissolved organic and metal salts in an aqueous solution that WILL pass through a semi-permeable membrane - I know because that is how I filter them when I make them up.

I'm finished on this subject. I know quite enough to know I am right on the definition of an emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin