Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,480   Online: 985

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've read numerous terms to describe prints (not that I can remember them now!) and was hoping to gain some more knowledge about them and what they really mean.

Most common, the term "gelatin silver" is used. This is simply a black and white print right?

What other terms are there for describing prints, and what do they really mean???

The guy at my local darkroom store told me that the galleries use certain terms to make the prints sound more exotic. As an example, I guess they've started calling (cough, choke, cough) digital prints from a printer gliche' prints, which I'm told means "ink" in French. Does sound better than "Epson Print" I guess!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think giclee means "to spit" as in the ink is spit at the paper. That's what I tell everyone it means, anyway.

Gelatin silver is what I've heard applied to regular silver paper prints. There are, of course, lots of names applied to the various processes included under alternative processes.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    giclee is the name of one of the many types of output for digital images

it is one of the highest resolution broadest color ranges and very good longevity - it requires specific equipment.

and i believe it means, ummmm, ejaculate

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsatterlee
    it is one of the highest resolution broadest color ranges and very good longevity - it requires specific equipment.
    The equipment and inks to which the term was originally applied was not high resolution, nor of particularly good longevity. It is now used as a generic term, I believe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should have put the gliche in another post. I'm really hoping to hear more terms for hand prints.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would prefer to see "giclee" used strictly for Iris prints, which were of high quality compared to other inkjet processes of their day.

There's nothing wrong with "Epson Ultrachrome" print, if that's what you're doing. It's an accurate description.

We had a discussion of this a while back, so you can search the archives for it. The really insidious thing is applying terms from traditional processes to inkjet processes, like "Carbon," "Platinum," and "Selenium," which are misleading.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Silver Gelatin or Gelatin Silver (depending just how pompous you want to be) is Resin Coated paper, which usually has a developer incorporated into the plastics, except for Ilford I think.

The alternative to plastic is fiber base paper.

Silver gelatin is what you know as your standard black and white print. It refers to the way the paper is constructed. Silver haildes suspended in gelatin on a paper base. It started being used by gallerys, collectors, etc. to identify this process from other earlier processes. Platinum, etc. The term is useful in listing work in cataloges, etc. to identify the process used in making a particular image. After all, Platinum, carbon, palladium can all be black and white. Also both RC and Fiber are considered Silver Gelatin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm toying with the idea of using the phrase "Print-On-Demand-Posters" for B&W inkjet prints. Nice in that the process is also used by PODPeople. (Joke alert)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin