Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,287   Online: 950

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Oriental Fiber Paper - thoughts?

I am about to test out some Oriental glossy fiber paper (non-warmtone).

I have both dektol and Ilford warmtone developers.

Any thoughts on these combos and what I can expect?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Although I've used a lot of Oriental Seagull VC FB warmtone, I've tried the neutral verson only briefly. It has very similar characteristics to Ilford MGIV glossy: It has a very bright base and has that mat look when wet. I usually microwave the teststrips to judge drydown because of this. I've used it it in Ansco 130 1:1 and found it to have dead neutral tones, again similar to Ilford MGIV. Dektol would probably give you similar results. I'm not sure what the warm tone developer would do.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use it with Ethol LPD, result similar to Dektol. However, the latest version (not to be confused with the old Seagull) has a very fragile surface (emulsion). I find it gets damaged very easily (like when trimming and dry mounting) compared to Ilford Warmtone, which I also use Ethol at various dilutions to get different results (1:2 cold, 1:3 neutral/warm, 1:4 warm). Other than that it's a nice paper but not as good as the old Seagull, IMHO. I can't get the blacks I used to get with Seagull, they just seem different.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Other than that it's a nice paper but not as good as the old Seagull, IMHO. I can't get the blacks I used to get with Seagull, they just seem different.
    Hi David, the above comments are similar to mine. I got a 25 sheet pack from Freestyle and last week went out and tested it. The blacks aren't there as in the pre 1980's product. I got the fiber base VC glossy paper and although it's a nice surface and weight it's lacking that "something" that the older paper had. I mixed up some Dektol, I haven't used it for a long time, maybe some other developer would be better. I was just checking out the newer paper. I used to use Seagull G2 and 3.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

orientally speaking

I think you should march into freestyle if possible and request they exchange that 25 pack for another with a different emulsion number...these stories make for the end of oriental but this brand has come out and back so many times that it is quite amusing....somehow they get reincarnated and somehow go on...my last batch of oriental warmtone is great but before the supposed changeover....
    Best, Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin