Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,419   Online: 861

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you really want B&W film, try stopping by a community college photography department and sign up for a class or ask them if they could develop it for you for a small donation. It can't hurt, they just might do it for you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    DIY or die!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having someone else process and print your b&w film can get expensive real fast. You have several options, one has been mentioned already, shoot Ilford xp2 or the Kodak C41 B&W film and have a minilab process it and scan the negs. Or the minilab can process and make 4x6's on color paper, the prints probably will have a tint as it is very difficult to not have any color on color paper.
    If you have the time ( 1 wk to 10 days) then you can try the send out service at Walmart, Target, Kmart, it may be cheaper and then again it may not, check their pricing list. I see you are in Charlotte, is there a pro lab there, most can process and make a contact sheet for around $10-$12.
    Of course you can do it yourself, thats the cheapest, as other have said after just 4-5 rolls the equipment is paid for.
    Most pro-labs have a mail in service, turn around time usually is 48 hrs plus whatever time the post office takes to get it there and back.
    One other option is a local college, some schools still have a traditional wet darkroom as part of the Art Dept. Ask the Instructor if it is available to the public for a fee, or maybe they have adult classes at night? you won't know till you ask.

Shooter
    35mm
    While I think it's a little on the high side, I'm not surprised. The drugstores here will also take 2 weeks to process traditional B&W film since they send it off. As others have said, traditional B&W film would be best done by yourself in which case it can be very cheap. Used equipment on e-bay is also incredibly cheap now. If your son doesn't want to go that route, C-41 B&W is fairly common and all one hour photo place will handle for much less.. I pay $2.25 to have C-41 roll developed to negatives. These days, I have actually become a hybrid user, and so at this point, I scan them into the computer with a film scanner. Contrast and exposure that would traditionally be done at the enlarger can then be done on the computer. You can then ship it off to your local drugstore for .19 per 4x6 or $1.50 for 8x10. Though some place like mpix.com is likely far higher quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is a C-41 black and white film like Ilford XP-2 or Kodak BW-400CN, or whatever the new Fuji one is called, it should cost the same as color developing and prints.

If it is a single-layer ("standard") b/w film, my local lab (A and I in Los Angeles) would charge $8 process only (b/w, C-41, or E-6), $15 process and proof, and $20 for process and single prints ($7 per roll extra for a full set of duplicate prints). I don't like the way their prints from b/w film look, as they are on color paper and are not full frame. (I do like that they process in a Refrema Dip-N-Dunk, however.) Therefore, the most I will do is process and proof, and that is a very rare occasion in which I will lab process b/w film; usually when I have a large batch that I want to be quickly processed in the same manner.

Unless your son needs to see a print of every single shot he took, I would not bother paying for prints. At the most, I would pay for processing and proofsheets, and usually just processing only. The prints won't be optimized for contrast and density, they will have a color cast, and they won't show what your son composed in the camera.

Some true b/w prints are available, through Freestyle or Ilford. I haven't tried it yet, however, and it is still quite expensive.

IMO, if you are not going to do the lab work yourself for b/w, just shoot Kodak BW-400CN. It is made to be printed on color paper, unlike the Ilford XP-2, which is a similar product, but made to be printed on b/w paper. (If your lab can print on actual b/w paper, by all means shoot the XP-2 instead.) Any local cheap lab can handle the C-41 b/w film, and this will likely give you the same or better results than giving a standard b/w film to the same lab.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with the other posters here - your son should learn to develop it himself. If not, Dwayne's Photo in Kansas will soup the roll and do one set of prints for about $11 (with shipping) for a 24 exposure roll:

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2...rocessing.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by usuthu65 View Post
    I agree with the other posters here - your son should learn to develop it himself. If not, Dwayne's Photo in Kansas will soup the roll and do one set of prints for about $11 (with shipping) for a 24 exposure roll:

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2...rocessing.html
    $4.49 process only is a good price if it is dip and dunk.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do it yourself. The only slightly tricky part is getting the film on the reels. If you use plastic, and have a suitably dark place its very very simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmm, I think I paid something like $23 for my last roll of HIE. :o But there's no way you should get anywhere near that for typical b&w films and processing. Get thee to freestyle for some arista or such, and yes, developing b&w is about as easy as mixing a martini. Developing &w 35mm is actually harder than larger formats IMHO, by the way. I do b&w sheets one at a time and it is an immense pleasure.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    If this is a 36 frame B&W film with a contact sheet then 36 prints of 6x4( Is this referred to as standard in the U.S.) on genuine Ilford paper and includes getting the grade right on each print then I don't think that you'd get it much cheaper here in the UK. I am basing this on current exchange rates. Over a third of a box of 6x4 paper has been used plus chems, then factor in labour and overheads plus profit.

As others have said it might be worthwhile finding out what it would cost if you developed at home, then got the lab to print on its genuine Ilford B&W paper, if sticking to B&W film and paper are "must haves".

If photogrpahy is goiung to be a long term passion then all equipment to do 1000s of negs and prints will pay for themselves in a very short time, as long as there's space for at least a temporary darkroom.

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin