Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,379   Online: 1068

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    In my opinion, there is no point in getting a lab to do your black and white, at this level. You can only get good black and white if you experiment with exposure, development and printing. You don't need an elaborate set-up and these days, darkroom equipment for 35mm-medium format is being given away, literally. I get at least 3-4 offers a year for almost complete darkroom setups. The enlargers almost always wind up in the dumpster and I usually take whatever trays and miscellaneous equipment there is.

You really don't need a lot to get started in b&w at home, if you want to. Digital is far easier, of course, and that is why people go that route. If your son wants to do snapshot photography and wants quick turnaround, then digital is definitely the better option. However, if you stay the course and learn how to work with traditional monochrome materials, particularly if you go to larger formats, then you will be richly rewarded.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Freestyle has mailers for B&W-contact sheet or prints, 120 or 35, for about $16.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c2901-...rs-BandW-Print

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin