Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,293   Online: 795

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    In the 1950s for newspaper work sheet film was developed in 1-2 dektol dip in alky to remove water. Print developed in same tray of dectol {also called d-72} 10mins to get print to engraving room.

Shooter
    35mm
    It was a great time to do photo work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dug up the roll.
    I didn't like it much then so this is the first image from that roll:

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    This has been done quite a bit and I think the common dilution is 1+9. a search here will bring up lots of info for you.

is the 1:9 from the stock solution(already mixed with water, ready to use for print developing)

sorry, have never done this before. and without a regular source of income right now, looking, i have to watch my pocketbook for any undue expenses, that's why i shoot acros

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=DanielStone;782579]hi all,

had to ask this one as soon as i heard it with my own ears.

A friend of mine was telling me about how a woman who shot for Vogue back in the 50's used Dektol as her film developer. It gave hear a very graphic, high contrast look and obviously gave her the look she wanted.

I am very interested in trying this out for myself, but wasn't sure regarding times for developing, etc...

If any of you have had any experience, please let me know. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    We souped 4x5 Super Pan Pres Type B (ASA 125) in Dektol, printed the negs wet, and dried them on a dryer reserved for dirty prints when the courier was waiting for a print to take to the newspaper printer.

Two minutes in straight Dektol with constant, gentle agitation in a 5x7 tray did it. Beautiful negs, actually.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    is the 1:9 from the stock solution(already mixed with water, ready to use for print developing)

sorry, have never done this before. and without a regular source of income right now, looking, i have to watch my pocketbook for any undue expenses, that's why i shoot acros
    Yes, stock diluted 1+9. I'm sorry I don't have a time for you, but that should come up in your search.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are half a dozen entries for films in Dektol on the Massive Dev Chart. I actually would have expected more entries, but it's a start....

Shooter
    Large Format
    What aboutPQ Universal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used Dektol for grain and high contrast before I discovered D-19, which I found to be more versatile and easily controllable for film. Dektol gives the film a serious kick in the teeth, though. There is nothing off the shelf that I know of that does quite what it does to film (except perhaps graphic arts developers). I would use double the standard paper dilution (making it a 1 part stock to 7 parts water working solution) for five to ten minutes, if I remember correctly, depending on the contrast I wanted. I usually got the near-halftone look I wanted with eight to ten minutes on a contrasty film underexposed, like Pan F at 200 or FP4 at 500. 1:9 at 5 minutes might be something I would try if I wanted a little more midtone-wise...in fact, I might just try that now. I know for sure that I have something that I did with it and Rollei Pan 25. I should be able to find it easily if you are interested. It is not an extreme example, as it does have a midtone or two, but it will give you an idea. (All my times were arrived at using approximately 72F water, BTW.)
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-29-2009 at 03:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Years back, I developed a couple of rolls of Tri-X 35mm exposed at ISO 1600 in Dektol. I don't recall the
    development time or dilution. It produced a really intense, grainy image. In bright sunlight, it looked almost
    like infrared film. Definitely worth a try.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin