Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,540   Online: 1033

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, Tom -

I picked up a very nice 120V drying cabinet for $100 some years ago from the same guy who sold me his 7' stainess steel sink (for similar $; what a bargoon, even if my SUV did look funny driving down our 401 highway with the sink lashed to my roof-rack). I've since seen a number of similar cabinets for sale for similar $$, certainly cheaper than the hassle and expense of building one's own. All of the cabinets I've seen have air filters, which mean you get a nice dust-free drying environment. I'm sure you could find one cheap, if you don't mind driving a bit to collect it.

Re the ANR glass, the betterscanning.com guy sells them for about $30, I think with a discount if you buy the adjustable neg holder. Probably not worth the hassle of having your own glass cut, and the variable height adjustment will let you tweak for your scanner. I have one for my Epson V700 and it works great. Any more discussion will probably get this punted over to the hybridphoto site!

Good luck, Graham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a DIY drying cabinet. Made from MDF, it has a plexiglass insert in the door so that I can see what it happening to the film. It is equipped with a fan to circulate filtered air through the cabinet, and there is a provision to heat the air, but I rarely use the forced air or heating feature. Instead, I just hang the film and let it dry. The fact that it takes overnight and not just an hour or less doesn't matter - I generally not in that much of a rush. The main function is to provide a protected environment where dust and insects can get to the fill while it is drying.
    Louie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I picked up a used film dryer with a vinyl curtain similar to some pictured in this thread, and it's been great. The intake is filtered and it has four settings: fan only and three heat levels. I only ever use off, fan, and heat #1. The dryer came with weights as well. I do notice a slight width-wise curl on some films, but that relaxes quickly and is essentially unnoticeable after the film's been sleeved for a bit.

The bottom of the film curtain has a plastic grid for support... and which works great for quick-drying Unicolor/Beseler print drums using low heat. That's been quite nice for times I have more 4x5 to process than I have drums.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got a plastic garment bag from Ikea. It's 15 inches wide and deep, and almost 5 feet high (long enough for rolls of 36). Zipper in the front. Cost me $9.00. Not the fastest dryer, but keeps them clean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    bought a really nice/large metal one recently cheap when the local school went digi..(love that part of digi photography, analog stuff goes cheaper)...mine works great and it does keep down the dust thou I still get some.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is this place not the best or what? Thank you so much for helping here. I really can't tell you how much I appriciate it.
    Now, what I did not mention is that I have to put any such device in my finished garage however I will not have constant heating, I will once I'm done with it but a device that warms will be a good thing. Clothes bag or cabinet. I have zero room in my townhome so that's where it has to go. I'm building a darkroom/playroom for my son. (playstation, video etc.)

jp80874, WOW. and with my 20 pct discount card that came this week, this makes an interesting option....... but how the heck do you keep dust out whilst opening and closing the zipper upon putting negs in and removing them?

Dave, I'm looking at new cabinets now at B/H etc., and their $1000 and over for a 6 footer. I wondering if it's worth it now as I know I'll take care of it for years to come.

bobwysiwyg, thank you, I've seen this but how would I cut it correctly to fit my specific needs please?

Mikeseb, holy cow.... yet another option....

Reinhold, those brazing rods are the bomb. That looks outstanding. and a heating pad? genius.

Martin Aislabie, yup, exactly.

GM, I think I'm going to betterscanning. I'm really despising those curls on the neg strip.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    P.S. This is the ARKAY Film Drying Cabinet that B&H presently has for $979 but with all the extras as well i.e., rods etc., for turn-key operation.

Shooter
    35mm
    I got a used film dryer for about $100-150 (don't remember exactly) and I'm glad I have it. At that price it wasn't worth experimenting with building my own. I appreciate being able to dry film quickly when I need to, procrastinator that I am. I had maybe a little dust using the bathroom/hot shower method but no dust now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    glarsson, even if I improve my dust removal a little bit it's big for me as I would hate studying, shooting, developing etc., only the have a small issue with the final product if there is even a little something I can do to avoid it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I made one as per Les McLean's method published in Black and White Photography. It is just basically a hanging piece of material, with an opening and a wooden base which gives it its shape. It folds down to nothing. It works very well, and would easily take seven or eight rolls of film at once. It cost me about $20 to $30 total to make.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin