Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,254   Online: 747

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    jp80874, WOW. and with my 20 pct discount card that came this week, this makes an interesting option....... but how the heck do you keep dust out whilst opening and closing the zipper upon putting negs in and removing them?.
    I load and unload it in the darkroom. There are several wire hangers inside with two Office Max small binder clips per hanger. It only takes a few seconds to hang two sheets of 7x17 or a roll of 120 and zip up. Mostly I shoot 7x17. I keep the DR very clean and then roll the drier out into the rest of the basement where it sits near the furnace. When the darkroom door is closed all incoming air is filtered. I vacuum the darkroom and wipe down flat surfaces with a wet paper towel. Once clean it is just a matter of maintenance. I put on clean sweat pants and T shirt and wipe my sneakers when I go in to work because everything else in our house has yellow Labrador Retriever hair on it. We have two rescued lady Labs who walk me 8-10 miles a week. For me it is easier to clean the DR then spot prints. I hate to spot prints. I would rather hike with the girls.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    I hear you on wanting to get even a small improvement in dust removal. I'm still hoping my local photo program will offer a workshop on "Spotting without Swearing".

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a JOBO Mistral Dryer, (http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/...ying_Unit.html, silly sum of money, I paid far less for my version 1) nice piece of equipment, which packs up relatively small. I have no permanent position for it to hang it up, I get it out, hang it up in the bathroom, run it for 10 minutes at the highest temperature to blow out the dust and let the plastic unfold, dry overnight without the fan.

A bit of a hassle, but it pays back in much less spotting needed..

Best,

Cor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use an eight blade film squeegee and have
    no problem with dust. After the film's soak in
    dilute PhotoFlo and the squeegee's rinse in
    same the film is given a slow downward
    swipe. Film dries fast and clean. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Picked up the mint "new" (Dont' think it was ever used) film dryer cabinet today from a estate sale for $165 and a 12 slot print washer (Zone VI) for $125,both mint and the print washer was still in the box never used. They sell at b and h for $1000 for the cabinet (Arkay 40 CD) and $679 for the print washer. Then he told me to grab any of the 100's of books he had in a room for free, HCB, Capa, Darkroom books, and tons of hard covers for my library etc... so I got about 100 books. Also, a film washer double plexi tube, wash tubs, screens for fiber prints, about 50 clips, safe light all for free. Also for free three large boxes of Ilford Print paper, the box had a price tag of $249 on each of them. I'll test them to make sure there's no fog. amazing day. well worth the drive into Brooklyn. Oh, and my son got a new Kate Spade bag for his mom.

Thank you all so much for all the time you took to help guide. Your an amazing bunch of peeps. Now, I should play lotto.
    Very best.
    Last edited by dwdmguy; 04-15-2009 at 02:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nice score. Make sure to put it all to good use!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    I would rather hike with the girls.

John Powers
    John, I hear ya, I love doing everything with our rescue, Sammy.
    Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also, I saw a crazy amazing enlarger there. I asked about it and he said "You won't be interested in that, I'll be giving it away at $3000" I'm peeved I didn't ask what it was. I guess I still can.

Also, the darkroom sink was amazing. It was an old style wooden one with resin finish. Wow. I'm going to go stainless when I'm ready. I can't wait to get into the darkroom for making prints and fiber prints. I am so excited. I just know, by reading from you guys, that I'll be large format in a year. Meanwhile, I am having so much fun.

Todays couple of hundred $$ was a big piece out of my tight budget, but I mean, how can you not??? Esp, when I ended up getting tons of freebies.
    HINT: That's me trying to get you to validate my spending today!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    P.S. The photographer was David Gahr
    http://singout.wordpress.com/2008/05...d-gahr-passes/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    HINT: That's me trying to get you to validate my spending today!
    Validate, heck. Did we tell you about our consulting fees? Free books all around.

Congrats,
    John

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin