Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,825   Online: 794

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

This new bottle of Rodinal looks different the last one I bought.

I've almost run out of Rodinal so I bought some from freestylephoto.biz. Not the new Rodinal or Rodinal+ or whatever, just straight Rodinal.

The last time I bought Rodinal was when I was NYC and I stopped by the B&H brick and mortar store. It came in a red box and had red labelling on the bottle. The Rodinal was dark, like Madeira, apple cider or dark sherry - even before I opened the bottle.

But this new bottle from freestylephoto.biz is really pale, as if one took Rodinal from the B&H bottle and diluted it a lot. The labelling is white. The warning labels on the back are the same as the older bottle, however. Additionally, the size and shape of the bottle (17 oz.) are also the same.

Now I know Agfa is gone and this is some other company making this stuff under Agfa license. I also know that neither of these two bottles are exactly the same as the original Agfa Rodinal. However, I've gone through countless of rolls of film to perfect the dilution, time, agitation, and agitation intervals to get the development I want. I really don't want to start all over again.

So the question is, is this the same Rodinal as I got before? Or, does Rodinal change color and/or chemistry over time? If so, do I have to do anything different to compensate?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the same. The liquid, when fresh, will have a slight brown tint to it. Very vague. As it gets older it darkens, which means your old bottle probably had sat on the shelf for a long time.

Rodinal lasts virtually forever. I've used some from the same bottle for many years.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fresh Rodinal is very pale, but older stock can vary, it's still perfect. A&O were making Rodinal after Agfa's collapse, now they've given up it's being made to t5he same formula elsewhere.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Awesome. Thanks you guys. Hopefully the day may never come when I can't buy commercially available Rodinal. If it does, however, it's kind of comforting to know that it lasts virtually forever. I can stockpile it next to the stockpile of guns I keep for when the zombies attack.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by applesanity View Post
    Awesome. Thanks you guys. Hopefully the day may never come when I can't buy commercially available Rodinal. If it does, however, it's kind of comforting to know that it lasts virtually forever. I can stockpile it next to the stockpile of guns I keep for when the zombies attack.
    I like that idea - fighting off the zombies, one bottle of Rodinal at a time ...
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Guns won't help you; everyone knows you need an old LP collection for that.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but I bet it tastes the same!
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Yes, but I bet it tastes the same!
    At the lab at school, we had a student who mixed up his beakers for film processing, and started tasting the mixtures to find out which one was the developer.

Of course, the second question after asking what was wrong with him, was how he knew what the developer tasted like to begin with ...
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope that day never comes! If we keep buying it... IF that day does comes, you can mix your own with chems from Formulary. However, you may have to re-test all over again.

Personally, I think 8-tracks of disco "music" would fight off the zombies better than LP's.

Shooter
    35mm
    I found the following very weird item a couple of weeks ago:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...al-Wars_01.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what to make of it, but it seems apropos....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin