Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,313   Online: 748

Shooter
    35mm

Dirt in my negatives

Hi,

I'm quite new to analog photography.

I shoot some rolls in B&W, more exactly Ilford HP5 and HP4.

I sent them to develop in a lab, but the result is very dirty. I would like to ask you what is the problem?

I think this lab sux and they have some kind of dirt in the developers. Can you see the pics and help me?

has you can see in the images, im talking about the white dots or scratches.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gonçalo_0067.jpg   Gonçalo_0084.jpg   Gonçalo_0011.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a dirty scanner to me.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Uncle Bill.

Get a can of DustOff, blow the negs, blow the glass and try again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    I agree with Uncle Bill.

Get a can of DustOff, blow the negs, blow the glass and try again.
    One needs to make sure that the compressed air in a can is just air, a few can spit propellant at whatever your trying to clean, and some of this stuff makes Krazy Glue seem slippery in comparison......
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by HibridO View Post
    Hi,

I'm quite new to analog photography.

I shoot some rolls in B&W, more exactly Ilford HP5 and HP4.

I sent them to develop in a lab, but the result is very dirty. I would like to ask you what is the problem?

I think this lab sux and they have some kind of dirt in the developers. Can you see the pics and help me?

has you can see in the images, im talking about the white dots or scratches.

Thanks
    Negatives naturally attract any dust or dirt within the general vicinity. If you get prints that contain a lot of dust or dirt on them, like this, then you should go back to the lab and demand reprints. If your scanning the negatives, always clean your negatives before scanning, clean the scanner bed and light source as well.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to, you can rewash the film yourself. That always seems to do the trick for me when I have stubborn boogers on my negs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your answers.

You gave me good news. I though the negatives were permanently scratched from the development.
    I didn't scan them, it was a friend of mine. So i will clean them and see if they are clean.
    In the next rolls, i already have a lab that develops and scans for a good price.

Thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin