Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,387   Online: 1081

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, so what's the best way to dispose of rotten undiluted Rodinal? Leave it in the sun to evaporate, then incinerate the bottle?

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    Oh, and on the assumption that Hermann Goering's father's surname was also Goering, then no: there isn't a street named after Hermann's father. But the fact that I didn't discount the possibility outright and checked my map says something about Windhoek nonetheless...
    I read this on the net "until recently Göring Street was the name of a main thoroughfare in Namibia's capital, Windhoek".

Heinrich Göring died in 1913, so he didn't have the chance to see Hermann become the popular fighter pilot in WWI, and fortunately never knew what would happen in the decades after that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Windhoek's main drag is Independence Avenue, which until 1990 was named Kaiserstraße, and before that simply 'Hauptstraße' (Main Steet) or 'Storestraße' ('street where the stores are'). I'm trying to find out what street Göringstraße was -- there's been a spate of 'postrevolutionary' revisionism taking the form of street-renaming in the last few years.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The title of this thread brought a host of possible Larson..Far Side cartoon possibilities to mind.....Man, I miss him.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When people speak or Rodinals' Eternal lifespan, they are speaking of the Rodinal made by Agfa and successors, not a 3rd party product. All manufacturers use proprietary items to stabilize their products, and perhaps the Rodinal "clone" does not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APH09/R09 (Calbe) CAN go bad (after 1 1/2 -2 years) This Ur Rodinal is working in a different way.
    Rodinal, R09 one shot "made in Germany" can not go bad. In the mean time Fomadon R09 (NEW) with the rounded corner bottles is also Rodinal. Foma switched 3/4 year ago from supplier. Rodinal R09 one shot is comming from the CMS plant in Vaihingen-Enz. This is the old Agfa Photo plant.

Rodinal has very small differences when it's old. Here an example of new Rodinal and 4 y.o. Rodinal:

Rodinal 1+25 new, APX100/Rollei Retro 100.

Rodinal 1+25 4 y.o., same APX100/Rollei Retro 100.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think the lesson here is to use "Proper" Rodinal whenever possible and accept no substitute. My current bottle is 14 years old and still as good as the day it was bought.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    Received wisdom is that Rodinal and its relatives (R09, APH09 etc) is virtually immortal.

But after being away for a few months, I have returned, and I've run three films though using developer from my trusty about-a-year-old bottle of APH09 (I have an unopened spare, never fear...) which is stored in a dark cupboard at room temperature, and all three films came out almost completely clear!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

At first I thought it was contamination from fixer residue in the tank, but I gave the tanks a thorough scrubbing, so that ought to be eliminated. Then I thought it was the water, but I've been checking the ph, and it's normal. Also, I've used a different developer (Moersch Finol), which is just as dilute (1+1+100), and it's come out just fine. So it's not the water. It's not the fixer either: fresh batch from powder, and it's worked fine with the Finol-processed film.

So, what's happening here? Any theories?
    Any of the "09s" simply do not have the "staying power" of actual-true Rodinal. I've used 11yo bottle with no problems, and I know of others whose film was processed in Rodinal up to 30yo with nary a single hiccup.

I'd suggest cough up the cost of real Rodinal, and be set. Also, 1:100 never worked to any great advantage for me. 1:50 for 10min is fine enough.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    In the mean time Fomadon R09 (NEW) with the rounded corner bottles is also Rodinal. Foma switched 3/4 year ago from supplier. Rodinal R09 one shot is comming from the CMS plant in Vaihingen-Enz. This is the old Agfa Photo plant.
    I may be mis-understanding here, so can I ask if you are saying that Fomadon R09 is now coming from the old Agfa plant and should have the same long term life span?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that's how it is and Foma confirmed this on the Photokina in Köln/Cologne. The new dilutions of their stuff: 1+25 - 1+50.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin