Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,893   Online: 1225

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I note that the bride is carrying four horse shoes

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gordon,
    The Agfa APX films Les has been selling me are superb in both 100 and 400 types. After that I'd probably choose Delta for the smooth tones but it does seem to be a bit sensitive to overexposure and/or overdevelopment so be careful. Err on the side of less, rather than more.
    If that bothers you, go to HP5+. The Fuji films are a step more contrasty than the others and I concur that they should probably be downrated and not over developed. I have used quite a bit of Fuji 1600 and when rated at that speed and developed normally it starts to block up. Since it's a pressure job and you don't want to be experimenting I'd go for Agfa APX400 if Les still has any, and failing that Delta 400.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd give serious consideration to 2F's suggestion of taking the main, or more formal, pictures on a separate occasion, when you can use film and lighting that you are familiar with, and you and the wedding group can be more relaxed.

I appreciate that hiring a professional photographer is too costly, but the bride may not think that freebies were such a good idea if the photos are not as good as she expects! And I do think that this is a real possibility, when you are relying on untested films, an unfamiliar location, bad light, and little time left now for planning. It may be a "low key" wedding, but it is an important day and good photos will likely become valuable memories for the bride and groom as the years pass. It's their time, and emphatically not your day for photographic experimenting.

I'd explain the problems involved, say that you'll take a few casual snaps on the day "for the record", then offer to take some "formal" shots after the honeymoon. Everyone's happy then, they're assured of good photos and you'll enjoy your picture-taking without the pressure.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 04-16-2009 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    All that stuff about how it's "low key" and "no expectations" is all bullshit.

If you have one brain cell in your head you will back out of this now.

This is not a joke. Get out now. You are making a huge mistake.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    All that stuff about how it's "low key" and "no expectations" is all bullshit.

If you have one brain cell in your head you will back out of this now.

This is not a joke. Get out now. You are making a huge mistake.
    Given that none of us know the people involved except by inference from the OP's comments, I think this is a bit gratuitous. I shot a friend's wedding some years back on the same basis, my first attempt at a wedding, in colour, using two Nikkormat FTn bodies and presented them with the negs and proof sheets for them to do with as they wanted.
    They were very happy. Gordon may do just as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have been "the photographer" on a certain number of friends' weddings (about ten). I'm not a professional and all the times i put myself a enormous amount of pressure. I must admit all the times the pictures satisfied me enough (i'm very critical) and, most important, i still have te friendships of the couples i photographed. My humble suggestions are: when shooting BW carry a couple of coloured filters (green to enhance skin tones and yellow to enhance skies). Bring a friend/wife/enemy with you that may help to carry the bag and the necessary stuff (rolls, batteries, flash....) Talk to the Priest, if possible, advising him that you'll be the least intrusive photographer in the world (and aobviously you will act in that way). Here in Italy weddings are very cerimonious. I use to go to the Houses of the guys who are getting married and shot some informal pictures of them, their relatives and their environment. Those moments have, relatively, little pressure and there is the chance of shooting nice pictures.
    Try to use a reportage style (Cartier-Bresson, Doisneau) but do not miss for any reason in the world the "unmissable" moments (exchange of rings, communion, etc..etc.. Make a list of them and don't be with the roll at its end....) I hope this is enough.
    Ciao

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Agree with above, get some xp2. and you're gonna get some rather drastic variation mixing reala with superia. Reala will give you supersaturated colour, so unless you'reafter that effect i'd just stick with superia. Take plenty of flm (superia's pretty cheap to buy and process)and make plenty exposures. nothing worse than capturing the bride sneezing at a critical moment and you've only got one frame to choose from.

<quick aside> i'll be around your neck of the woods in a few weeks (dad's holed up in C.A. brown at Teralba, i'll have to pm you for a weather report....grin)

Good luck with the wedding.....

wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few days ago I finally fixed the rattle in my Pentax Digital Spotmeter. It fell out of my jacket pocket twice on my cross-country trip in January. One of those times was into a snowy field in Oklahoma, where it sat until I realized it 70 miles down the road and went back hoping that I had dropped it where I suspected I had. Lo and behold, it was right where I expected it; wet and icy but functioning. Earlier in the trip, I was crawling around near the top of a railroad underpass along U.S. Highway 13 in Maryland and it slipped out of my jacket pocket. I watched horrified as it skidded and jumped down the concrete slope about 30 or 40 feet and landed in the dirt next to the tracks. I was surprised to try it out and find it functioning perfectly. Nothing but exterior scratches and an interior rattle. WELL, I finally took the bugger apart and found that a tiny screw had come loose. After some searching, I found where the screw belonged and put it back where it goes. I now have a spot meter on its third life that is NICE AND QUIET again. The end!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    A few days ago I finally fixed the rattle in my Pentax Digital Spotmeter.
    Had you intended to post this in the 'What did you fix today?' thread?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies. Well, the weather report is looking a bit better now - it seems that wind might a bigger problem than anything else.

I checked out the location this afternoon - which will be pretty shady by kick-off time tomorrow - and spoke to the bride about what she wants / expects. There are no cars/arrival (she'll already be there) and they're just having a short ceremony (that I'm assured will be very much on time) and just having some shots with a few of the 40-odd guests straight afterward.

This is a wedding like no other I've seen in my 42 years, and it's hard to explain how little regard the bride has for the photos. Her only request is to "make me look thin" - sorry, it's film and it always tells the truth. If you want contrived fiction I'll have to use your digi :o No, I didn't say it - I've got lots I want to do before I die

After talking to Les Porter (the guy who's processing the B&W) I picked up some Tri-X 400 (400TX) and decided to grab some Fuji Pro400H colour - while I was there.

@ Leigh - He's all out of the APX 400 - only has APX 100 left.
    @ 2F/2F - thanks for the great advice. There's really no other day to take formals, and they really don't want them anyway. The unforgiving nature of Delta is one reason I chose Tri-X. I guess I just got lucky last time I used Delta
    @mcgrattan - nice shot. XP2 seems to do a good job, but since I want Les to process my B&W (I trust him more than labs) it can't be C41. Another time for sure.
    @ ghost - um, not sure how to reply to that. I'm not particularly stupid (as far as I know ) and as someone else said, you know bugger all about this situation, so I'll have to assume you were so forthright because you've been badly burnt by this kind of thing before. Otherwise I'd have to assume you're a complete jerk - and I never do that when there are other options. Thanks anyway, I can't (and won't) back out, but I'll be careful
    @ faustotesta - My wife will be there to help - I've told her that I'll be "allowing her the privilege" of using the bride's D-SLR. I'm sure she'd rather carry my Dynax 7 - darn it she knows too much If I could do a Cartier-Bresson, they'd be paying me for this gig!!! I do think the reportage style is my best option though.
    @ Wayne - see the reply regarding XP2 above. I've decided to use Pro400H for the colour stuff because the Reala/Superia combo was worrying me, and your post confirmed it. Feel free to PM before you come up this way and I'd be happy to give you a report. CA Brown's about 5 minutes from here.
    @ Steve - I just thought he got tired of the topic and digressed a little Interesting story anyway.

Thanks again to you all for the help.
    Regards,
    Gordon
    *Minolta Maxxum 7 *Minolta Dynax 600si Classic *Minolta Dynax 5 *Minolta X-300
    *Minolta 28-105 RS, Minolta 50/1.7 (AF & MD), Minolta 50/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300
    *A passion to capture God's awesome creation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin