Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,077   Posts: 1,612,190   Online: 850

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ok everyone,

I've finally gotten the ok to start developing film at home, so here we go!!!! Actually was given permission 2 weeks ago, but couldn't get started until about 1 1/2 weeks ago actually due to a logistical problem of having no fixer . So, I've done approx 6 rolls of 35mm and 3 rolls of 120, and tonight, 3 sheets of 4x5.

thanks everyone for your help!!!

I'm currently really short on cash(even after christmas), so I'm using HC-110(gifted by BradS), and Clayton RF-19 fixer. Water stop bath, and a 5-10 minute wash. so NO hypo clear, just extended the wash times, and give a final 2 minute soaking in distilled H20 before hanging up the rolls/sheets.

here's a few photos of my working conditions for now, so you know how small it is in there!

my "drying rack" with the heater blowing nice warm air over the negs, put back in the hangers after dripping for 10min or so.

where my negs hang after the 2 min soak in distilled H20. the negs hang for about 5-10 mins, depending on temperature. I soak up the beads that collect on the bottom corner.

thanks for all the help everyone, it has been much appreciated!

-Dan

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Daniel, I had even smaller labs when I was young :-) I put planks on the bath tub as a 'table' for the enlarger and trays and sat on the toilet lid - your parents will hate me for that hint...

But your "drying rack" might ruin your negs. You blow unfiltered warm air, containing dust and particles, and they will be IN the emulsion after drying, causing a lot of trouble, e.g. white spots on prints. Just let the negatives dry over night, behind the shower curtain, and close the door to reduce circulation of air. It takes a while, but large format photographers must not be impatient anyhow.

If money is tight and you don't have a stop bath yet just get some citric acid, it should be in every kitchen. Wikipedia says: "Citric acid is the active ingredient in some bathroom and kitchen cleaning solutions. A solution with a 6% concentration of citric acid will remove hard water stains from glass without scrubbing. In industry it is used to dissolve rust from steel." Well, and it makes a great odorless stop bath...

Regarding chemistry disposal, some hints that I read in this forum are amazing - using fixer as a weedkiller sounds like a hint from the 1960s. I would rather take fixer to the local hazardous waste site and remove the weeds manually.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, get those negs AWAY from the heating vent!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well bruce and cmo,

thankfully, there isn't any dirt or grime on the negs. but next time, I'll just let em drip dry!

-Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    i know this is a weird question, but it is to satisfy my parents who think that by putting b/w chemistry down the toilet will ruin it.
    I'm surprised no one has answered you original question -

Yes, putting b/w chemistry down the toilet will ruin the b/w chemistry.

You should always listen to your parents...

;^)
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 12-28-2009 at 07:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well, I'm not putting it down the drain anyhow . I'm putting it down the bathtub's drain, with lots of HOT water to flush out any residual chems, meanwhile washing my stainless reels and tanks after processings. same with 4x5 hangers(in the photos). scrub,scrub,scrub after usage keeps em happy .

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    I'm surprised no one has answered you original question -

Yes, putting b/w chemistry down the toilet will ruin the b/w chemistry.

You should always listen to your parents...

;^)
    Ha ha ha, that is so funny.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Please forgive me if I'm digressing.....

Most of us have chemicals that are pretty toxic that can be found in our homes. Chemicals such as oven cleaners, cleaners such as nail polish removers, steel wool, varnish removers; chemicals in the garage, like antifreeze, lubricants, cleaners, pest removal chemicals like hornets and others. How about paint?

Photography chemicals are pretty mild in comparison.

At any rate, I would contact your PCA (pollution control agency) to see what is allowed and what isn't. Find out how many gallons are processed each day and I think you'll be amazed at the number, the larger the population served the greater the number.

Have a wonderful 2010!
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't waste the hot water, use COLD.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Don't waste the hot water, use COLD.
    thanks Bob, I'll do that from now on for the 'flushing' step. for cleaning up though, I'll still use hot, just not as much as before.

blessings, and happy 2010!

-Dan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin