Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,791   Online: 975

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Martin. I have used them successfully over many years - but when I read a thread like this I start second-guessing. I'll actually be coming over to visit my family in July so I may try and pick up some Protectan then.

Thanks again.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Snapple juice bottles are glass, and have a nice wide opening too. The tops eventually rust, though.

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I like glass bottles for developer because I can use a Pump-N-Seal device to create a partial vacuum inside the bottle. (This works well with the glass Snapple bottles that have already been mentioned.) This obviously isn't required if the bottle is filled to the brim, but for partially-filled bottles, it has a noticeable effect on extending developer life.

I've started migrating to plastic for stop baths and fixers; these tend to cause the metal caps on Snapple and similar glass jars to decay rather rapidly.

I seem to be in a minority of one on this topic but I actually did this.
    Took my D-76 pack outdoors,poured it into a glass jar,stirred it up well.Used the weight of D-76 I wanted,left the rest in the sealed glass jar for 3 years(what's it going to do,react with nitrogen!!)
    After 3 years mixed up the rest, perfect results.

Shooter
    35mm
    As to the actual topic of dividing powdered developers, I've done it too. I think the whole notion of misproportioned ingredients is based on FUD. If I was really worried about it, I would have poured it all out and divided it with a credit card several times to ensure statistical uniformity.

Now I use wine boxes that hold a whole gallon, allow extended developer life, and take up much less space than multiple little bottles, so I don't bother mixing up half batches anymore. A gallon of D76 doesn't last me 6mo anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not FUD. I've had Dektol go bad, which contains the same basic ingredients (metol and hydroquinone) as D-76, albeit in different proportions. The package had developed a small breach which I didn't notice. Needless to say the powder was not stored in an inert environment and it surely was not sealed as well as originally packaged. It had oxidized over time; some of the ingredients having turned dark brown. I can't say how long exactly, but it was less than 1 year. Now, Dektol being Dektol, it still worked since this is very sturdy stuff and print development process can be quite forgiving of poor developers. So no sweat there. If the print doesn't turn out well all you've lost is some time and some paper. But negatives are not reproducible, and I wouldn't want to risk ruining them by skimping on potentially unreliable developer.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Two ideas: [1] I've stored D-76 in a plastic soda bottle for almost 2 months, it is still active, and not at all discoloured.

[2] In Canada we can buy D-76 powder is smaller bags, too - that make up one liter of full strength solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format

FUD or BSTS?

FUD or BSTS? Sort of like saying because you drove without using a seat belt for years you don't think its really needed. Rather than risk ruining negatives or having the developer wasted through mixing error, why not just get some small bottles and fill to the brim. Better safe than sorry.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I agree. But I know from experience that you can do it, and it works, and I don't buy any of the arguments about the powders separating funny. This is photography, not rocket science.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Yes, I agree. But I know from experience that you can do it, and it works, and I don't buy any of the arguments about the powders separating funny. This is photography, not rocket science.
    "In the space of one hundred and seventy six years the Lower Mississippi has shortened itself two hundred and forty-two miles. That is an average of a trifle over a mile and a third per year. Therefore, any calm person, who is not blind or idiotic, can see that in the Old O÷litic Silurian Period, just a million years ago next November, the Lower Mississippi was upwards of one million three hundred thousand miles long, and stuck out over the Gulf of Mexico like a fishing-pole. And by the same token any person can see that seven hundred and forty-two years from now the Lower Mississippi will be only a mile and three-quarters long, and Cairo and New Orleans will have joined their streets together and be plodding comfortably along under a single mayor and a mutual board of aldermen. There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact."

Mark Twain - Life on the Mississippi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin