Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,736   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ilford FP4+ Magenta dye on negative 4x5

Hi,

I presoak the ilford fp4+ for 3 minutes, than develop in pyrocat HD for about 12 minutes, stop 1 minute, fix for 4 minutes. (jobo manual tank)

After that a wash for about 6 minutes with the special hose which bubbles the water in the tank.

I noticed a magenta dye left on the neg when i put the neg on a white paper.
    Is the wash much to short???

And is this dye causing problems when enlarging ???

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's the anti-halation layer which normally comes off in pre-soak. Try some more washing.

I used to get this when I processed 5x4 sheets in my Paterson Orbital processor until I read the tip about scoring the base to stop the rear of the film (Where this layer is) from sticking to the base.

If your washer allows water to run over both sides of the sheet though, I would expect it to have washed off with the sequences you mention.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Doesn't it need some more time in a bath/tray of Fixer and a second wash?

I knew someone who put small spots of glue about every 12 ~ 15mm on the inside of his tank to hold the back of the film away from the tank

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Doesn't it need some more time in a bath/tray of Fixer and a second wash?

I knew someone who put small spots of glue about every 12 ~ 15mm on the inside of his tank to hold the back of the film away from the tank

Martin
    i use a jobo 2509 tank with a reel. i do not have this problem with a different film type (fuji acros)

Could this be a fix (to short) problem or is it a wash problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you have used the 2509 Reel and fixed for 4 mins (I do mine for 5 in fix with less than half the stated used life - but thats probably way to long) its probably enough

I was my films for longer than the 6 mins - usualy 15 to 25 mins - depending upon water temp

The most garanteed way of overcoming the problem will be to reload the negs into the reel and fix for another 4 mins and wash for say another 10 mins with the cascade washer

If you are curious as to what exactly the problem is for next time - just try washing first to see if that overcomes the problem and if its no good, you can re-fix and then re-wash.

My FP4 5x4 negs look just like 35mm & 120 in colour.

Good luck

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    this morning i took the neg (presoak 2 minutes) and fixed it for another 2 minutes to be sure and after that washed for 10 minutes at a temp of around 25 degrees celcius.

Looks like the dye is gone now.

Could this dye have any impact on my print????

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Don't know

Have you tried reading through the Sticky Thread at the top of this section about TMax Pink Dye Cast - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...een-cast.html?

Good luck

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Don't know

Have you tried reading through the Sticky Thread at the top of this section about TMax Pink Dye Cast - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...een-cast.html?

Good luck

Martin
    Hi,
    yes I saw that one. I have to do some tests to be sure it's only the washing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been developing 4x5 fp4+ quite a bit lately. 2-3 minute presoak, develop in Rodinal 18 minutes, fix for 6 minutes, wash for 5 minutes, agitate in a tray of Zonal Pro Archival Rinse for 2 minutes, second wash for 10-15 mintues, 30 seconds in photoflow and hang. I get clear negs without any sign of the AH layer. Hope this helps. Shawn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I did a test with one of the negs and put it again in the wash tank at 25 degrees for 10 minutes, afterwards i still see a light reddish stain which was not there when i did a 2nd fix for 2 minutes. So mabye i will have to fix 6 minutes too, in stead of 4. and a longer wash.

txs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin