Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,515,002   Online: 1262

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format

edge density

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    I have a very subtle but noticeable sprocket hole surge situation going on with some film I just ran. I've never had sprocket surge, ever. I had it with two batches, one in Rodinal, one in HC-110. My agitation has not changed at all. The surge is subtle, but enough that I need to figure out what happened.
    Other than that, thoughts?
    Appreciate it.
    Graeme,

My thoughts first turn to the reel on which the film was processed. Unless plastic reels are cleaned regularly and 'properly' after your film was immersed in 'Photoflo' or other such rinse agent, there is a possibility that you may residual emulsion within the 'channels' which 'absorb' the surfactant and transfer it to the edges of your film.. thus increasing developing activity along the film edge.

Might I suggest a good scrubbing with you mother-in-law's toothbrush with some dilute bleach to properly clean the reel.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, these scans probably aren't going to help much. But I did a light one around the sprocket holes w/ increased contrast, and a dark one into the film edge w/ increased contrast. In the dark one the decrease in density does roughly correspond with the sprocket holes. Which suggests bromide drag. But around the sprocket holes it is certainly not even...which is odd too. But then again, I don't often examine my sprocket holes like this...maybe they're always like that. But I don't think so.

Then there's that weird squiggly line of increased density outlining the problem area in the fra,e. Would that be a product of bromide drag too?

Huh. Anyway. This, + the scratch makes it about the ugliest roll of film I've ran in sometime. Luckily the rest were okay. But I do thank you all for helping me look into it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails edge3.jpg   edge4.jpg  
    Last edited by GraemeMitchell; 04-17-2009 at 09:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ken, I gave the reels a thorough scrubbing in hot water! And I plan to change back from Heico wash aid to either Ilford or plain sodium sulfite. Just to rule it out.

But before I deal with it again. I want to figure out if it was my agitation. That'd be the easiest solution...w/ the exception of me not having any idea what changed from the countless other times I did it w/o problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Graeme said he does not use a wetting agent, or at least he doesn't put the reels into it. I'm thinking it looks like bromide drag. I had a similar issue a few years back. I was adjusting agitation and I found the point (for me) of too little. I increased the agitation and the problem went away. Why did you get this issue now? Who knows, sometimes these issues can really be tough to track down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin