Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,387   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cutting sheets from a mural roll?

Has anyone ever tried cutting sheets for a mural roll? I've been looking at prices for larger paper, and after i recovered from sticker shock i started crunching some numbers. Basically, if i were able to cut 20 inch wide mural rolls down to 16x20 sheets i'd be able to get about the same price per sheet as buying it in the larger packs of 50 without the initial outlay. Plus, I could also cut 20x24 sheets, 8x20 sheets, or whatever big weird panoramic 20xsomething size i'd like.

So, has anyone ever tried it? Is it possible to keep the ends of the paper pretty straight? Or would it be more of a hassle than it's worth?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a wooden table top with cleats along the left side and the back. Then at 16,24 &32 ( amoung others ) I have routed a V notch in the top. I place the paper tight to the cleats and then using a box cutter I can cut to size.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    20" roll should be pretty manageable. It really depends on how well you can set up for it, how much room you have, if you have enough boxes and envelopes, etc.

I cut up a 42"X100ft roll recently, and basically had to construct the whole set up in my darkroom, which was an adventure. Tape the door shut, tape over the light switches, dehumidifier, measuring jigs all set up. And minimal safelight. Certainly, the next time will be much easier. But just a little thing like bumping into an untaped wall switch, and game over!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I regularly work with roll paper and up until recently I did a fine job with just a box cutter dragged alongside the edge of the inner box. The easiest way to do this is to cut a string the length of the piece of paper you need, tape it to the edge of the inner box and use it as a guide when you pull the paper with both hands (hint...I used to hold the end of the guide string in my mouth in order to handle the paper with two hands) After you've pulled the length you need, carefully roll the paper with two hands right down to the lip of the inner box. Now, holding the roll in one hand, carefully drag your straight edge along the lip of the inner box. I did this for years with paper rolls 11" to 50" wide. Works like a charm. However, now I have a meteor seigen automatic roll paper dispenser and cutter - trickest of trick. Just dial the length in (quarter inch increments!), press the button, the paper rolls out, and cut with the rotary blade.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin