Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,663   Online: 1143

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak Quercetin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    And I didn't mean you personally, but our respected sources.

And apples too, but people have been eating things for a long time and until recently, for the most part, almost all of them died at 40 or younger... Perhaps not long enough for effects to show.

I've long wondered how many compounds in foods that are commonly eaten that are carcinogenic and we've just not done any studies. The drug companies don't pay for it, unless they thing there are theraputic properties. And the FDA tries to figure this out, but there are some compounds at such low concentrations that it is not a big risk, but that doesn't mean there is no risk.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many, anti-neoplastic agents are also carcinogens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if anyone here has ever eaten an apple seed?

It turns out that some types actually taste quite good, but they contain a large dose (so to speak) of Cyanide. It turns out that the almond flavor of the seed is actually the trace of cyanide present. You would have to eat about 1/2 - 1 cup full to cause poisoning though, but the body is hyper sensitive to such toxic agents and therefore can detect it in low levels. Pity it tastes so good though.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Never eaten apples seeds, at least not on purpose.

The issue between poisons and carcinogenic compounds is that poisons often have a threshold dose where they are not harmful below that dose, and some are theraputic. Take asprin, below a certain dose, it's safe and useful, above that dose, and it's harmful. Carcinogens are pretty much all assumed to have no threshold (at least by the EPA) and so any dose it concidered harmful. Certainly, that may not be the case for all carcinogens, but I believe that's how they are all treated.
    Kirk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, I was going to write more in my post above but was diverted at the time. Here is the rest.

The "Apricot cure" for cancer some years ago had a partial basis in the fact that apricot and peach pits contain cyanide as well. It turns out that cyanide starves cancer cells for oxygen and as recently described some medications that reduce blood flow to cancers also kill the cancers. Well, some tests with cyanide show the same thing, but of course at a dose high enough to cure, it kills. Some "wit" therefore got the idea of the Apricot cure. The medication was a serum derived from apricots that purported to cure cancer.

It was banned in the US, but in Mexico there were clinics that would give you apricot serum shots for cancer, claiming that it would cure you. By the time the serum was prepared though, I suspect that there was little or no cyanide left just so it didn't harm the patient. But then, maybe that was not connected to the cure at all. Who knows. Just a small side note on cyanide in fruit seeds and cancer.

Of course, Kirk is correct in his distinction between a carcinogen and a poison.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think what you are remembering as the Apricot Cure was a chemical called "laetrile". Laetrile is a semi-synthetic form of amygdalin, which is extracted from the almond or apricot kernel.

From Wikipedia:
    "Beta-glucosidase, one of the enzymes that catalyzes the release of the cyanide from amygdalin, is present in human small intestine and in a variety of common foods. This leads to an unpredictable and potentially lethal toxicity when amygdalin or Laetrile is taken orally."

I remember Steve McQueen as being the most famous person to die after recieving laetrile treatments in Mexico.
    Kirk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, thats it Kirk. But what I think they missed in the evaluation, as it was not known then, was that cyanide would tend to kill the cancer. This led to the belief that it was the Laetrile that was the cure (if any was to be had) but it was the release or presence of cyanide that had a small beneficial effect on the healing of cancers, but an often bad effect on the patient.

Now we know that retarding oxygen supply or growth of new blood vessels in cancers can kill them off.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin