Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,595   Online: 918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Quercetin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Quercetin

Does anyone know what photographic use this chemical is as I have a jar full. It's an anti-oxidant.

It's marked "Not for Drug Use" and was manufactured by Eastman Kodak in the US but packaged by Kodak, London.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin

It's a Flavan-3-ol and a polyphenol like tannin - Looks like it could be used as a developer itself...

And possibly carcinogenic. Interestingly it's found in capers at 1800 mg/kg. I knew there was a good reason not to eat capers.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's marked "Not for Drug Use" and was manufactured by Eastman Kodak in the US but packaged by Kodak, London.
    One of Kodak's side businesses is (or maybe now was) the manufacture of organic chemicals and lab chemicals, many of which have no photographic uses.
    My understanding is the US Governement encouraged them in the first world war when many Chemicals that had been used in various industries were now unavailable from German suppliers.
    Metol (Elon) was one of the first of these of course.
    EK was also Licenced as a drug manufacturer and owned Stirling Drug for a while.

YES here it is from a web search "WAS"

"Acros Organics is a Fisher Scientific Worldwide company. Acros Organics’ roots lie with Eastman Kodak Laboratory Chemicals and Janssen Chimica which were brought together in 1994 to form Acros Organics. Acros Organics is the alternative source for fine chemicals in prepack and semi-bulk quantities and is offering more than 18,000 organic chemicals for research and industry. A great many of these products are also available in bulk quantities. As part of Fisher Scientific, Acros Organics is well positioned to reap the substantial economies of size that its new structure provides. It can develop stable, long-term strategies required for product and market development and for broadening its product differentiation capabilities. It gives Acros Organics a strong starting-position for winning new customers and improving its service to existing ones."
    Last edited by cmacd123; 04-19-2009 at 08:37 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added more info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quercetin is an ANTI-carcinogen. It appears to reduce cancer.

Kodak developed the micro still which allows micro vacuum distillation for the preparation of rare and difficult to obtain organic chemicals. They no longer are involved in this!

This compound is not a photo chemical AFAIK.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    100 - 250 mg three times per day for all that ails you
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133364

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    One of Kodak's side businesses is (or maybe now was) the manufacture of organic chemicals and lab chemicals, many of which have no photographic uses.
    My understanding is the US Governement encouraged them in the first world war when many Chemicals that had been used in various industries were now unavailable from German suppliers.
    Metol (Elon) was one of the first of these of course.
    EK was also Licenced as a drug manufacturer and owned Stirling Drug for a while.
    Just found a website concerning the UK Kodak manufacturing sites:-

http://wwwuk.kodak.com/UK/en/corp/ma...0.1.4.16&lc=en

It looks a long way out of date, as I believe both the Kirby and Annesley plants are now closed.

I have (somewhere) an old Kodak organic chemical catalogue from the 1960's or 70's....a thick book, listing literally thousands of the most obscure chemicals which they could supply at that time.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 04-20-2009 at 02:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that Kodak website is seemingly not being updated since 2004.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Quercetin is an ANTI-carcinogen. It appears to reduce cance
    So, I can go on eating those capers (Königsberger Klopse...)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Quercetin is an ANTI-carcinogen. It appears to reduce cancer.
    That's interesting!

But here's some interesting info from an MSDS, and interestingly one for Quercetin made by Acros:
    "Mutagenicity: Mutagenic effects have occurred in experimental animals." and,
    "Has been found to cause cancer in laboratory animals."
    http://www.hmdb.ca/labm/servlet/labm...94258528017583

Here's a couple lines from the CDC, lifted from the paper, GENETIC POLYMORPHISMS AND BREAST CANCER RISK: A REVIEW (1999),
    "Quercetin, an inhibitor of COMT that by itself does not cause tumor formation in the Syrian hamster model, produced greater tumor size and metastases when coadministered with estradiol than did hormone administration alone (88)."
    http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/populati...nt/br_poly.pdf

I guess it's one of those "who do we beleive" things?!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Kirk, there is evidence that could sway one to go either way.

Given the popularity of capers, and their long history of safe consumption with no finger pointing, I would say that it is ok, especially with the high level reportedly found in capers. I love capers myself on a good salad and with anchovies.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin