Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,891   Posts: 1,520,853   Online: 1186

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

120 film for a brownie 2

I HAVE RECENTLY AQUIRED MY GRANDMOTHERS BROWNIE 2, CIRCA 1907? CAN I USE MODERN 120 FILM IN THIS?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    According to Camerapedia, the No. 2 Brownie is indeed the camera that introduced 120 film, so there shouldn't be any reason for it not to work, since the specs have hardly changed.

So try it, let us know how it goes!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would put a 100 ASA in it and take pic's on a sunny day, that's what I did with one 50 years ago..............

Have fun !

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would recommend putting in a roll of Kodak Plus-X 125 or Ilford FP4, with personal preference leaning to the Kodak. Both of these are readily available from many photo retailers, and have a classic grain structure, similar to that of older films.

If you are looking for color, I recommend Fuji Reala 100 in 120. It is a slow-speed film with colors that are not overly saturated, perfect for a test roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot a roll of Kodak Plus-X in a Brownie 2A (Model B). I posted a topic about it in the Medium Format forum, but I didn't get that many responses

I don't know how similar the Brownie 2 is with the Brownie 2A box camera. But my pictures turned out great. I was really surprised. I took them in the late afternoon, maybe around 4 or 5 pm. The Brownie 2A uses 116 film though, so to use 120 film with it, you have to make spacers to put on the ends of the spools.

I think all the Brownie cameras have a slow shutter speed, like around 1/40 or 1/50. So you'll probably want to use a low ISO film. That's why I decided to use Plus-X. I developed the film myself and then just made contact prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Verichrome Pan would be ideal, but that's long out of production. Plus-X is the next best thing in B&W.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use old box cameras all the time and am still trying out new film and developers.

I also say go with Kodak Plus-X
    In full sun you will be over exposing the film.
    Therefore if you are developing the film yourself shorten the developing time.

see

http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00RrC9

and

http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00SuvX

For Plus-X in divided Xtol use 4 minutes in the first bath and 4 minutes in the second.

I have gotten wonderful results with this combination.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If it is a folding camera with bellows (as later Brownies were), rather than a box camera, be sure that the bellows don't have light leaks. Use very bright lights to look for pinholes in the folded corners.

Also pick film on the basis of what you can easily and economically have processed. C-41 color negative processing is the most readily available, so Kodak Portra 160NC, Portra 160VC, or the aforementioned Fuji Reala. If you have access to reasonably priced black and white processing (or do it yourself), then Kodak Plus-X and Ilford FP4+ become attractive choices.

Shoot in bright sun with the sun over your shoulder, just like your grandmother was taught to.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by phenomographs View Post
    I HAVE RECENTLY AQUIRED MY GRANDMOTHERS BROWNIE 2, CIRCA 1907? CAN I USE MODERN 120 FILM IN THIS?
    well thank you all so much! very helpful info

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My Brownie No.2 has a pretty fast shutter speed of around 1/100. I've used it with slide film and it came out fine using the sunny 16 rule (aperture thingy pulled out all the way to f/22 hole with ISO 200 slide film). They're great for eating through 120 at 8 exposures per roll, but they're also good for beginners contact printing and the alt processes.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin