Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,037   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Help pls: Tri-x Pan 35mm in HC-110

Hi everyone.
    Came across an old roll of the Tri-x pan 400 and don't have any chem stats for it nor can't find any in the charts.
    Any suggestions please?
    Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tri x in HC110

The Digital Truth massive Development chart shows Tri-X in HC110 dilution B 1:31 for 7 ½ minutes
    I have always gotten excellent results with 1:50 for 8 .25 minutes .But I use a cold light enlarger so you might want to cut the time by about 25% for a condenser.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you much!!!
    I'll be using a cold head as well so I'll follow your lead.
    Can you please tell me where I can study the differences between a cold light and condenser to know how to better develop neg's? I pick up my beseler 45 on Wed.
    Thank you.
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    hi - I "almost" always expose at 200iso and develop for 4 min in HC110 21 degrees..

Such a fine combo!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've already exposed at 400....
    So, here it is... I found this, don't know when it exp. I don't mind. But I've never shot with it before this and during all my web hunting the examples I'm seeing are blowing me away. See, I LOVE contrast. I really dig the seperation of tones as far as they will go. I LOVE grain too. Am I weird? So, I'm excited.
    Thanks tons.

Tri-x 35mm in HC-110 Dil. B: EI 200, 5 minutes at 68f/20c, gentle agitation.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    pgomena, I'm sorry, but your saying go ahead and Pull this in dev now at 200?
    Thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Massive Dev Chart is unusually broadminded on this case, with times ranging all the way from 4:30 to 7:30 for Tri-X at 400 in HC-110 dilution B. The Film Developing Cookbook says 7:30.

Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    See, I LOVE contrast. I really dig the seperation of tones as far as they will go. I LOVE grain too. Am I weird?
    No, I think that's all about par for the course among people who like Tri-X. (If you want more contrast and grain, try it in Diafine at EI 1000-1200 or so. The Diafine box claims you can shoot it at 1600, but this is widely felt to be a little bit optimistic.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nathan, are you saying try the Pan at 1000-1200 in Diafine or Tri-x TX? Both? I have define waiting so maybe....

Anyway, I just developed the Pan and from what I see, ugly. I was pretty sure this was over 10 years expired. It's in the cabinet now but doesn't look good. But now that I know of this.

So does Pan have more contrast then TX. Sorry, Just beginning to go full steam with this.
    Oh, I have the First Rev of the Darkroom Cookbook (I understand there is a 3rd now), is this book pretty much bible until I begin my classes or am I better off using the Massive Dev Chart?
    Thank you all.
    T

Shooter
    35mm
    The massive dev chart is useful for data on film that is otherwise hard to find info for, or for info on pushing. There are wildly varying data on the MDC, but it can be a great starting point. Why don't you go straight to the horses mouth and check out the Kodak data sheet for Tri-X or HC-110 developer.

Oh, and Tri-X pan is the same thing as Tri-x is the same thing as 400TX, although there have been changes to the emulsion of this film through time. Nathan was suggesting that you try Diafine at 1250 if you want more grain and contrast out of this same film as compared to HC110.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin