Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,068   Online: 915

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    My understanding is that Kodak stopped recommending or supporting XTOL dilutions higher than 1+1 some time ago in response to the "XTOL sudden death" problems. Thus, the only high-dilution information you'll find on XTOL will either be hopelessly out of date but official from Kodak or unofficial stuff from users.
    The decisions of corporations are often mysterious. I don't think the Xtol "sudden death" had any connection to dilutions. Dare I also be cynical in noting that with high dilution they don't sell so much developer????:rolleyes:

An old American sheet with high dilutions would still be valuable as a way of more quickly dialing in, even with emulsion changes since then. Compare then and now, add or subtract a percentage and you will be real close, I think.

This is an example of why I don't trust the Massive Development Chart except for general information or for maybe now unavailable films. We don't know what emulsion is being talked about with "recent" Kodak changes. I doubt if there is any deleting of old data. Does TMY data reflect current or old? Probably both, especially at higher dilutions.

Shooter
    Multi Format

1998 data sheet...

I have an Xtol data sheet, J-109, dated April 1998 with the dilute times. I kept it because I used to use 1+3 Xtol a lot. I never had a problem with it, never experienced the "failure" issue and used a good number of the 1 litre packages over the years (until they went away...).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So it's clearly before Tri-X and Plus-X were moved to the new facilities. Didn't the new films (400TX and 125PX) get longer times? I have the US 1998, 2004, and 2008 pdfs for XTOL here. I know the 2008 version removed the old Tri-X and Plus-X from the data. The 2004 sheet has both the new and old. The 1998 sheet has the old. The German one is in German, so I don't look at that. haha.

The 1998 English sheet agrees with the values you have listed above for German, for Tri-X. The 2004 sheet has both times - the English values above correspond to the new 400TX, the German times correspond to the old TX. I think that's all you are seeing there. As far as Plus-X goes, it looks like your English values above are for 1:1, because in the 2008 pdf I see (6, 5.5, 4.25, 3.25) for full strength XTOL. The 125PX data sheet more or less agrees with the 2008 XTOL data sheet too (a number or two is off by 15 seconds).

Shooter
    Multi Format

1998 data sheet...I

I have an Xtol data sheet, J-109, dated April 1998 with the dilute times. I kept it because I used to use 1+3 Xtol a lot. I never had a problem with it, never experienced the "failure" issue and used a good number of the 1 litre packages while they were available.

I've also found a copy of J108 - Xtol for Rotary Tube Processors, November 1997 with dilute times.

PM me if you'd like a copy.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Swinnard; 04-20-2009 at 11:43 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin