Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,053   Online: 784

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you tone MGWT for a long time it turns maroon. If you want to remain some warm tones I would recommend first doing a partial bleach with pot ferri at 1+9 for about 1 minute at room temp. Then quickly dunk in sepia to warm the highlights just a hair. Then do the selenium, but be careful with it. Trial and error applies.
    This takes some of the colder maroon colors out of the equation and keep the highlights warm. If you find that the highlights are affected too much, you can try bleaching just 30s. Kodak's Sepia II bath is really good for this treatment.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...Try the multi tray method I use. Once you get into a rhythm you can really churn out some prints. It's efficient.

Hi Thomas, I do almost exactly the same method. How is the fan-blowing-out-the-window idea working? You were going to use a piece of Masonite instead of matte board with a cut out - as I do.

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Paul,

I tone outdoors. Between working full time, being a student full time, taking care of my wife, 14yo son, and trying to run a photography business - I haven't had time to fully address the darkroom ventilation yet.
    But this summer I plan on getting to it, between putting a new roof on the house and finishing renovation of my bathroom... hehehe I'm too busy.

But it works a charm, doesn't it?

- T

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    First I would say don't put more than one print in the selenium toner at one time. You can re-use selenium toner and I encourage you to do so. It doesn't matter what paper you put in the selenium toner, one kind after another, its not going to hurt anything. As far as Ilford warmtone, I also love this paper. If you like the tone of the paper straight out of the fixer, I would recommend atleast toning in selenium diluted 1+9 for 1-2 minutes. This will give increased Dmax without altering the tone of the paper very much at all. This is what I've noticed from my experience.
    Agreed, you can tone whatever brand paper you desire, however, you cannot save selenium toner for another session. If you try to reuse time and time again you will soon find the selenium will crystalize and quickly stain the even toned areas of the image, effectively ruining all work prior to that point.
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Thomas
    I tried sepia toning MGWT recently. Loved it, but I noticed it bleached quickly and toned VERY quickly in the 2nd toning bath...like, really really quickly. I used Berg sepia toner, BTW.

Nice stuff, when followed up with selenium.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Agreed, you can tone whatever brand paper you desire, however, you cannot save selenium toner for another session. If you try to reuse time and time again you will soon find the selenium will crystalize and quickly stain the even toned areas of the image, effectively ruining all work prior to that point.
    I have never had a problem reusing selenium toner for months on end. The toner seems consistent enough for me. It does seem to collect dust after a while, which I'll filter out with coffee filters once in a while. Dumping after each toning session is not environmentally friendly and is unnecessary I think. Just my 2 cents.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agreed with Brian.

This stuff is really toxic, BTW. Wearing rubber gloves, eye protection and good ventilation is mandatory...that stuff gets into a tiny cut on your hands and it's lights out.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I have never had a problem reusing selenium toner for months on end.
    As they say, to each his own
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colin,

dilute the bleach. Full strength - yes, it tones very rapidly. If you want to see something fun, make five prints, one perfect and four about 10% overexposed in the enlarger.
    Bleach one completely in full strength pot ferri. Bleach the next for a minute in full strength bleach. The next at 1+5 bleach for a minute, and the last at 1+10 for a minute.
    Then tone them all in sepia and follow with selenium. They will all yield different results, and might cover to suit many different subject matters.

Have fun! I know I did when I tested like that.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Hey Thomas
    I tried sepia toning MGWT recently. Loved it, but I noticed it bleached quickly and toned VERY quickly in the 2nd toning bath...like, really really quickly. I used Berg sepia toner, BTW.

Nice stuff, when followed up with selenium.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh great...there's another week in the darkroom coming up, upon reading that one, Thomas!

Can't wait. You hit a home run for me with Rodinal, I sense the same coming up for this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin