Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,359   Online: 914

Shooter
    Medium Format

Whoops Developing times...

Ok guys what are your thoughts on this.

I have a bulk roll of what I thought was Tri-X400. I picked up some Rodinal and decided to give it a whirl. Well seeing as how I am on the road 4 days a week I just decided to bring it with me and scan the negs when I get back home but I realized I made a mistake. The film was really Agfa APC 400!!!

I use Digital truth for my times and mixed up my developer at 1 + 60 and for Tri-x it was 15 mins

So after I found out what the film really was I checked out the times for Agfa APX 400 and they listed 1 + 50 320-500 11 mins.

So since my mix was a bit more diluted you think the time was close? The photos are of nothing really in particular I just wanted to see what the results of Rodinal were really like. Just eye-balling the negatives they look a "little" dense but until I shoot another roll and develop it at the right times I wont know.

Thanks in advance!
    ~m

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, let's see. 15 minutes is about a 40% increase in developing time. Your dilution was 1.7% as opposed to 2%. I think you're gonna have a little more contrast and density than you intended but at that dilution it shouldn't be TOO far off.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Digital Truth doesn't give times for 1 + 60 or 1 + 70, how could I determine the developing times for those dilutions?

Thanks!
    ~m

Shooter
    Multi Format
    not as bad as my first use of HC110:

I made the classic dilution error and used it at 1:7 instead of 1:31

ouch...horrible

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does anyone have an equation or a table to determine developing times for dilutions smaller then 1+25 or 1+50? I want to get *finer* grain results then 1+25
    I am guessing there has got to be some constant where (x) time = (y) dilution?

Thanks!
    ~m

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're after finer grain you should switch away from Rodinal. If you need a liquid concentrate, then perhaps HC-110 would be a better choice. (I've never used HC-110 myself, though.) If a powdered developer is OK, then D-76 or XTOL are good general-purpose developers. There are others that produce still finer grain, but usually at the cost of film speed and/or acutance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. mohaupt View Post
    Does anyone have an equation or a table to determine developing times for dilutions smaller then 1+25 or 1+50? I want to get *finer* grain results then 1+25
    I am guessing there has got to be some constant where (x) time = (y) dilution?

Thanks!
    ~m

can you plot the data you have on graph paper or something and see if it's a straight line & then extrapolate?

I'm sure there's a "reciprocity failure" for extreme dilutions

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You know I will try that right now, see what I can get....

As for Rodinal I guess I am not looking for FINER grain per say but finer then what 1+25 gives you. I like the liquid concentrate because it is easier to mix up on the road for me.

~m

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not sure how accurate this is. I just plotted a line graph on my computer.

I got y=a*x+b, a=-.6667, b=8.6667

Where y is the % of the mixture and x is the time. The points I used as my known points were (1+50)@500ml= 2% @10 mins and (1+25)=4% @11 mins

For (1+60) 1.7% the graph is telling me ~10.46 mins which is telling me my negatives should have came back black??

Thoughts?
    ~m
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rodinal_Agfa APX.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin