Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,102   Online: 1189

Thread: Old Fixer Usage

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Last night I printed with fresh fixer, putting in about 11 8x10s before returning it into its container together with half again fresh solution. I have some negatives I want to develop tonight and have no fresh fixer left. My question is whether I can use the same fixer as last night to develop 2 8x10 negatives? If not, what are the possible ill effects of using this fixer? Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Should be fine. If you're unsure, take a snip of film like a leader from some 35mm, put it in the fixer and see how long it takes to clear, and then fix the real film for twice that time.

At times I've used the same batch of fixer for both printing and negs, but now I keep separate batches to prevent staining of prints from antihalation dyes that come out of film, pyro stain, and such. That's not a concern, though, if you're using fixer from printing for film.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Qoting from a post in R.P.D:

"The following are Grant Haist's recommendations for paper fixer capacities:

One-bath fixation: Commercial Archival

Paper:

Max. Ag conc.: 0.3 g/l 0.05 g/l
    Max. sheets/gal: 30 8x10 5 8x10
    Non-image Ag in paper: 0.005 mg/in^2 0

Two bath fixation: Commercial Archival

Paper:

Bath 1:Max. Ag conc.: 2 g/l 0.8 g/l
    Max. sheets/gal: 200 8x10 70 8x10

Bath 2:
    Max. Ag conc.: 0.3 g/l 0.05 g/l
    after 200 after 70

Non-image Ag in paper: 0.005 mg/in^2 0"
    (sorry if it's not very legible - it's supposed to be a table, but I couldn't do it)

So, from above, two bath fix is better - and cheaper...

An exausted fixer may clear a film - but will not really fix it from an archival viewpoint.
    Just a note: Modern films, specially T grain ones, are rich in silver iodide, that exausts fixers very quickly.

Jorge O

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford say that Hypam at 1+4 will fix 40 8x10s per litre.So you'll be fine.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin