Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,240   Posts: 1,660,124   Online: 864

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is great. Just started doing it and works fine. Got my loader from Adorama.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Images
    I like bulk loading, and it saves money. If I am just doing a couple of rolls, I do this freehand in the dark. If I am doing an entire 100 foot roll at once, I use the Bobinquick Jr. loader from Freestyle Sales. Either way, the roll is good all the way to the end. However, it does take time to bulk load, but I enjoy the process.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like TriX, and bulk load Arista Premium 400. I think I'm going to stop though, because it's $2 a roll and bulk loading works out to only $1.60 a roll. Not quite worth the (minimal) risk of dust/scratches/leaky cassettes. I have heard about this rumored Double-X film and other sources of film that are even cheaper, but I would have to switch films and $2 a roll ain't nothing to complain about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just started bulk loading myself. It's great because if you want a really short roll to test a camera with, it's easy. You can tailor the length of the roll to how many pictures you take and how long you want the film to stay in the camera. (I hope that made sense....) Plus, like everybody said, you save a boatload of money that way!

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    I bulk load whenever the cost savings seem worthwhile, which is usually for B&W films that I use frequently. That said, since most of the posts to date have been unequivocally positive, I'd like to play Devil's Advocate and point out the downsides....

IMHO, bulk loading has two big problems: It takes time (and time is money, to one extent or another) and it increases risk. The time/money issue is one that's highly subjective. The risk factor was mentioned by BetterSense, but it deserves emphasis. I've scratched more than one roll of film in bulk loading. (Mostly from a bulk loader with a poor design that runs film over hard plastic curves -- that's just asking for trouble. I now use a different bulk loader with a safer straight-path design.) There are also risks of scratches from old cartridges, and of more dust getting onto the film. Depending on how you do it, you might be unable to avoid fogging of the last frame (or two or three or four) of each roll. Even if you do it in total darkness, bulk-load cartridges are more likely to pop open when dropped or otherwise mishandled than are commercial cartridges. I've had one or two rolls rip free of their spools at the end of a roll, which can nix further photography until you get home if you don't happen to have a changing bag or other dark area available.

Now, stepping away from my Devil's Advocate role, I'll say that these problems are pretty minor from my hobbyist perspective. I've only lost a few frames to these problems, and none of them have been important shots. Some issues, like end-of-roll fogging, are known and can be planned around. If I were a professional photographer, I probably wouldn't rely on bulk-loaded film, at least not for paid work. As a hobbyist, it's another matter. Oh, one other advantage that I don't recall seeing mentioned in this thread so far: If you buy a lot of film at a time for use over months or years, bulk film is more compact, and therefore takes up less space in the refrigerator or freezer, if that's how you store it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually load my film in the darkroom and then roll it off as I watch some TV - makes the advertisements soooo much more interesting!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by alapin View Post
    How many still bulk load their film? Is it still worth doing?
    Whether you do it or not will depend on whether you can buy bulk film at a significantly cheaper price than cassettes and whether you mind spending time in order to save some money.
    Personally, I only bulk load when I can get outdated film cheaply which I am going to use for tests etc. I find the loading process tedious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I could not afford pre-loaded cassettes in 1974 and still can't afford them (I'm referring to Ilford and Kodak products, I agree with good value in some other pre-loaded films available at Freestyle but have not tried them).
    Last edited by ic-racer; 04-21-2009 at 08:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Once again, thanks to everyone who offered their experience in using bulk load film. It has help me to decide to go ahead and start looking for the loader and film. Many thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin