Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,629   Online: 1077

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Missing gaps in negatives

Hi,

I've now had several rolls of film (both B&W and Colour) developed by myself and labs where there has not been any gaps in between the negatives and sometimes they overlap, this has occurred on about 4 different cameras, a holga, diane, RB67 Pro SD and a Rolleiflex. The only 2 common factors is the place I bought the film from and that I loaded the film, all these cameras have been fine in the past but it just seems to be the last few rolls. Could it be an issue with the film (maybe the lining indicators) or I have just loaded them wrong the last few times?

Many thanks

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Perhaps you're not getting the leader far enough into the take up spool and it is loosing slightly as you wind on.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you save the paper? Should be about 190mm from the arrow to the leading edge of the film on a normal 120 roll.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi,

Thanks, that's a good thought Christopher, I'm going out this weekend to shoot so I'll make sure its tight, I'll also keep the paper ic-racer and if they come out they same I'll measure the distance.

Many thanks for the help, I'll post back when I have developed some film.

Thanks

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Matt, the Camera is responsible for winding the film on - hence putting the gaps between the negs.

What you are describing if the film sticking to itself/the backing and hence slipping the clutch in the cameras winding mechanisms

I don't know how you store your film but the times I have had problems, the film was either damp or had been damp at some point.

I keep mine in a deep freeze but worry about the freezing/condensation both inside and outside the foil pack when putting it in and taking it out - so I only do it once.

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

As to condensation, store it with a silica bag and put it from room temp to the fidge for a day and then to the freezer when storing. When taking it out, move from the freezer to the fridge for one day, still in the bag. Then from the fridge out, still in the bag for one more day to lessen the chance of suffering the effects of condensation.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi,

Thanks, I keep it in the fridge so it could be suffering from the condensation, I'll keep a bag of silica with them in the future.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin