Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,077   Online: 953

Shooter
    Medium Format

Soft or Hard water

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I am about to mix up a new batch of paper chemistry and since I have just had a water softener installed if this is going to be problematic. What's worse?, having the calcium of hard water or the sodium of softened water added to the mix?
    thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have not had any problems with softened water. On the contrary, I would prefer it over hard water, which has given me problems when sulfide toning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if I were you, I'd have the resulting water tested before deciding. We have well water and a softener system. I was still getting "stuff", so had it tested. The range for soft water is 0-60 mg/l, moderately hard is 61-120 mg/l and hard is considered 121-180 mg/l. Ours (and this is from the tap, after the softener) is 352 mg/l. Which is why I'm using distilled to make my developer and fixer and do the final rinse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I mix my developers in deionized (distilled) water. Tap water is okay for stop and fixers, unless its too hard. We used to live in Texas, and I used distilled for every thing. The water was so hard there, that we had to decalsify our coffee maker at least once a week, or it would die. Another option would be a water filtration systen with replacable cartridges. A sediment cartridge is a big help.
    Rick

Images
    During the warm months I have a darkroom dehumidifier that supplies soft water of sufficient purity and quantity. In dry months, I avoid carbonates and use metaborate print developers and TEA or borax in my film developers.
    Gadget Gainer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin