Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,261   Online: 809

Thread: HIE keeps

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

HIE keeps

I've just done strip tests on two rolls of expired HIE. One 04/2006 and other 08/2008. IIRC both were refrigerated till a few months after expiry date and then frozen (approx -20C)

The conclusion is simple - I cannot tell the negs by looking side by side, base is clear. I probably won't have time to make contact proofs till at least next week so I can't really say if everything is ok but the fact that both look the same (and that 06 was ok last summer) strongly suggests that it indeed is.

Or am I saying something that is well known? I've searched for a while but found some vague statements about expired hie being ok.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    How is the Infrared "effect"? Is it the same for both films? I was under the impression that the sensitivity to Infrared light diminished with age?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have several rolls of '05 expiration still, last roll shot last spring was fine and blooming.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's good to know as I have about 15 rolls left and I want to savour them. Plus I am being more careful in finding worthy subjects for my last rolls...

I bought some 1993 dated HIE at a camera fair,dont know how it was stored but it still seems to work OK.Here's one with the 87 opaque filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old HIE-1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicely done Alan! Looks great! I can relax now and find worthy subjects for my precious....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a hit and miss proposition in my experience, and you did keep it in the freezer so the results are good and you are fortunate. I'm very glad.

But, the rule of thumb is that Infra red films die a "heat death" faster than other films. They do not appear to lose IR sensitivity so much as they go into fog. However, the IR dye itself is sensitive to heat and has a limited shelf life in the bottle.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

HIE keeps somewhat

Before I was looking at the test strips against light. But when I've put them on blank sheet of paper I could clearly see that older film has some slight fog when compared to newer. I hope I'll have time to print proofs next week.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin