Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,075   Online: 1015

Shooter
    35mm RF

Fixer..how simple?

My friend took me the fixer formula like this: 250g Hypo (sodium thiosulfate) + 2g Sodium Sulfite + 1000ml water = fixer. I think it is so simple, but I have still not used yet and don't know how it is good.

Your simple formula?

Best regards,

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    hypo + water = fixer
    All that is required, actually, though it will not last very long because of oxidation.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good list of formulae for fixers is in the "Articles" section at: www.apug.org/forums/forum226

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kissssss View Post
    My friend took me the fixer formula like this: 250g Hypo (sodium thiosulfate) + 2g Sodium Sulfite + 1000ml water = fixer. I think it is so simple, but I have still not used yet and don't know how it is good.

Your simple formula?

Best regards,
    Probably a bit low on the sodium sulfite; perhaps also a mild acidifier, as well.
    Check out Eastman F-24
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's another recent thread on simple fixer formulas.

All you need for 1000 of fixer is 16 ounces, dry measure, of Sodium Thiosulfate Prismatic Rice Crystals. To that add 10 grams of Sodium Bisulfite. The fixer will last as long as you have the energy to keep printing.

We use 11 x 14 trays (for 8x10 paper) and double everything above, including the water.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My simple fixer formula? Just sodium thiosulfate. Nothing more.
    It is prepared very dilute just prior to processing. An exact amount
    is prepared. I know ahead just how much will be needed. I've used
    rapid fix, ammonium thiosulfate, in the same manner. Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This is the none-hardener fixer, in a long time the emulsion in the film or print (developed) will be retrograded, won't it? Everyone suggest the necessary of using hardener fixer...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kissssss View Post
    This is the none-hardener fixer, in a long time the emulsion in the film or print (developed) will be retrograded, won't it? Everyone suggest the necessary of using hardener fixer...
    Non-hardening fixer is recommended for archival purposes on prints. The experts shall have to chime in on non-hardening fixers for film. I have used both with and without hardener for many years for film. Many film emulsions are already hardener included, I am told.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin