Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,253   Posts: 1,660,394   Online: 1122

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was concerned about some older B&W negatives I had from family pictures in the early 1900s and checked out some sites for information. There seems to be more data on motion picture film and the attached sites will give you a good idea about the dangers related to the nitrate film and what not to do when you try a burn test.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/cellulose.pdf
    http://www.movieeditor.com/2005/nitrate.fire.html
    http://www.amianet.org/groups/intere...ateIGNov08.pdf

Gord

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    the movie editor link is awesome his first two tests are large scale results of what i did.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Nitrate film is not likely to spontaneously self-ignite. Keep it cool and dry. Metal cans are not ideal for storage. Plastic is better, but seeing that you have historic artifacts, I'd keep the cans to help with identification. Just keep them cool and dry until you can turn them over to a knowledgeable restorer.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Loose fitting cans, well ventilated, in a cool, dry (no more than 50% humidity) room.

Let it breathe. Don't smoke around it.

Don't eat it or smoke it...

Filling your car with gasoline is far more dangerous than handling nitrate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Stephen, you said you had to find the "least graphic" segment of the film to provide a scan. What are the films of?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See Stephen's other thread from today.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The motion films are a 1930's collection of people being tortured and murdered in a variety of very brutal ways. From acts of being shot through the head at close range to being beheaded or gutted or to having their neck broken and then buried alive with only the bare ass remaining out of the ground...
    and a list of other revoltingly disturbing acts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    The motion films are a 1930's collection of people being tortured and murdered in a variety of very brutal ways. From acts of being shot through the head at close range to being beheaded or gutted or to having their neck broken and then buried alive with only the bare ass remaining out of the ground...
    and a list of other revoltingly disturbing acts.
    Any idea who shot it? Is it special effects, or real?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    its one hundred percent real, there are defiantly not special effects.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    There is no segment on the films indicating it as saftey films. This film only has Kodak Nitrate printed on the rebate and occasionally some numbers.

The EKC rusted Tins have kodak labels for Kodak nitrate film on them and film enclosed says Kodak Nitrate Film on the rebate. I have scanned a sample of thew film. This is the least graphic segment on the film i could find. i have 7 tins of these films all about 25cm across.

These appear to be standard 35mm motion picture film. Are they positives?-or Negatives? There is no soundtrack present, but the camera aperture mask allowed for a soundtrack as there is a dark stripe between one edge of the image and the sprocket holes. Standard SMPTE format.

If they are positives, then that means they were printed from negatives somewhere, and that may help indicate their intended use. Do you think they were from World War 2??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin