Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,090   Online: 989

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Formosa was occupied by the Japanese long before this film was shot. Of course, because the film was made in 1939 and 1942 does not, of necessity, indicate it was used in those years.

According to a relatively recent history of the Rape of Nanking in 1937, the Japanese gave considerable play to its attrocious acts at that time, in the home media market of Japan proper.
    True, the initial occupation happened before, but they ongoing purges lasted for years. Yes, it could be Nanking or the Philippines.

Edge codes can only tell you the manufacturing date, not the shooting date, as you indicate, but the chance that a roll of film was manufactured in the early part of WW II and not exposed, it pretty rare, as raw materials were so hard to come by. There are plenty of examples of film manufactured AFTER 1945 that were not exposed, but I don't know of any before.

As to Fuji over Kodak, not necessarily; filmstock was so relativlely expensive that you used what was in the supply chain. Kodak was the dominant stock, even in foreign countries, for critical/expensive productions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    forgive me but if the film was asian wouldnt they have used fuji stock? not kodak? just curious?
    Someone would have to lukitup. I doubt Fuji was then what it is now.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    The Japanese occupation of the Philippines, which began in December 1941, better fits the time frame.
    Yes, and to read Carlos Romulo's book "I saw the Philippines Fall" such atrocities were common. And, as I mentioned in a prior post, based upon the book I read about the Rape of Nanking, the Japanese military was quite active in publicizing to the Japanese public the kinds of things that were going on. I recall reading in that book copies of English-language newspaper stories about two Japanese army lieutenants in China in a contest to see how quickly they could behead 100 Chinese prisoners.

This film MUST be preserved. And it MUST get into the hands of people who can research it and use it. It is a sad, tragic, necessary record which must be used. Some good MUST comes from this.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That does appear to be a positive print on nitrate print stock. The clear margins indicate it's a print, rather than reversal processed film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just to update everyone over the next few weeks I will be uploading images from the films to Flickr where they can be viewed. I Strongly warn that scenes in the film MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME VIEWERS but those wishing to view scenes within the films can do so at the link attached. I will be uploading more scenes when i get available time to do so.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29279649@N02/
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin