Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,025   Online: 814

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I think if Ilford won't allow their Kentmere (formula) papers to be private labeled by huge vendors such as Freestyle, their volume of sales is going to go way down. After all, the private label papers and their economical prices are what students have to use, and what prudent professionals use for volume printing. They can continue to "protect" the Ilford line, by restricting the use of Ilford formulas to Ilford brand products.

Let's face it, vendors such as Freestyle will find something to sell under their Arista name, and all that paper then sold is paper sales lost to Harman.
    There are a couple of things, first of all, it may not represent a huge part of Harman's sales. It may be a big part of their US sales, but in a global market, that may not be a large part of the overall market for these products, especially with the US being possessed with digital so much now. While emerging markets are still largely film based.

A question though, if Freestyle is so huge, why don't they design their own films and papers, like many other US companies, then contract produce them elsewhere. If it works for Nike and Hewlett Packard why not Freestyle. They wouldn't need such a confusing array of product names, because they could retain products as long as they want to make them. They could also get Harman to coat the emulsions in the UK, then ship the master rolls to China for slitting and packaging.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Last year I bought a box of Kentmere's standard glossy RC paper (5x7 inches) and upon making numerous prints I was totally unhapppy with the results because the tonality was cold rather than neutral. Therefore, I decided to stay with Ilford's standard glossy RC paper (in both 5x7 and 8x10 inch sizes) because it is neutral in tone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin