Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,274   Online: 837

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

bye bye Freestyle's Arista II

If you are a fan of the Freestyle Arista II paper you better get your order in now because they have discontinued it and are selling out the stock. When I talked to them they only had 2 boxes 16x20 glossy left and the 8x10 is going fast.

The sales gal said they are going to continue the Kentmere line so the same paper is going to be available but not at the reduced re boxed price.

They are going to bring in a replacement in August but mum is the word on what it will be or how much it will cost.
    Dennis

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    After Harman bought Kentmere, it was only a question of time. Harman have stated that they will not sell their products for re-labelling, so this should not come as a surprise to anyone.

You will just have to get used to buying the same (or as close to the same as possible) product under it's real name, just like everyone else in the world outside the US.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    "The sales gal said they are going to continue the Kentmere line"

And from the catalog, "Results will vary from previous versions."

I have been using the soon-to-be-replaced Kentmere papers and Arista II. One of the characteristics I like so much about these papers is that they produced very sharp looking prints—sharper to my eye than results I could produce on Ilford VC papers.

I hope the new papers will exhibit a similar sharpness.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    After Harman bought Kentmere, it was only a question of time. Harman have stated that they will not sell their products for re-labelling, so this should not come as a surprise to anyone.

You will just have to get used to buying the same (or as close to the same as possible) product under it's real name, just like everyone else in the world outside the US.

Ole, what Harman said was they will not sell "ILFORD" films and papers under private labels. They also said they would continue the relationship that Kentmere had with Freestyle. Selling "Kentmere" formula products under private label is not going against their "Ilford" statements.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They said that before they bought Kentmere.

That they "will continue the relationship that Kentmere had with Freestyle" only means that they will honour the agreements on deliveries and prices made before the merger, not that they will continue allowing Kentmere products to be sold under different names.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So is the Arista II VC FB the same as the Kentmere Fineprint VC FB paper?

Shooter
    35mm
    Why should i care? Do people really like it, or is it particularly good paper? How's the VC RC compared to Ilford MGIV VC RC or the existing Freestyle EDU.Ultra?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Why should i care? Do people really like it, or is it particularly good paper? How's the VC RC compared to Ilford MGIV VC RC or the existing Freestyle EDU.Ultra?
    If you don't care then you shouldn't care. It is good quality material. I care because I do custom and commercial printing with it and I have to watch my costs to survive. Freestyle has helped me survive for 19 years now.

I only use the RC in the perle surface and it is close enough to Ilford that I can mix the Arista and Ilford together in a job and no one notices.

The existing EDU Ultra is going to continue to exist and it is good but in my experience it has a bit warmer base in the fiber and I can't match it to current or past work. Also in my experience the perle surface RC curled the opposite way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Arista II "The next generation"?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    If you don't care then you shouldn't care. It is good quality material. I care because I do custom and commercial printing with it and I have to watch my costs to survive. Freestyle has helped me survive for 19 years now.

I only use the RC in the perle surface and it is close enough to Ilford that I can mix the Arista and Ilford together in a job and no one notices.
    The existing EDU Ultra is going to continue to exist and it is good but in my experience it has a bit warmer base in the fiber and I can't match it to current or past work. Also in my experience the perle surface RC curled the opposite way.
    Please excuse me for honing in on one of your statements that perhaps might be perceived incorrectly. Do YOU notice any difference in the way the two papers print?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin