Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,585   Posts: 1,545,806   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Amidol Developer Formula & Lodima

I had the amidol formula for Lodima, but now I cannot find it. Could someone direct me to the formula? I saw Michael's amidol formula for Azo on their website but couldn't find it for Lodima...if I recall, wasn't it slightly modified for Lodima?? Thanks!
    Does anyone know how long the stock solution lasts in a full bottle? Thanks again!
    Last edited by Andrew O'Neill; 04-25-2009 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't believe you can prepare a stock solution... Then again I wasn't aware there was a revised Lodima formula either so who knows. Sure would be nice to mix a stock solution of amidol.

I've been using the MAS formula for Azo except I've been adding 5 grams of straight KBR instead of the recommended solution. Gives a very nice warm look to the paper, especially when selenium toned.

All the best. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amidol developer, once mixed with water, will not keep well at all, even in full stoppered bottles.

I am working on an additive that will double or triple the life of mixed Amidol developers, but you cannot expect much solution life or capacity from such an active developing agent. It keeps wonderfully when dry though. I really don't know if there would be any interest in such an item though.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm interested! Count me in!

Now that I think of it, what is the capacity of, say, a liter of an amidol developer? I don't think I've ever gotten to that point, as I've always tossed the developer after a couple hours.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Amidol developer, once mixed with water, will not keep well at all, even in full stoppered bottles.
    Apparently Wolfgang Moersch has developed an Amidol where the stock solutions will at least keep one year and the working solution for several weeks in full stoppered bottles. See http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...itiv/8/lang:en

So far I haven't tried this developer nor do I know how it will work with Lodima. But I would be interested to know since I would like to use Wolfgang Moersch's Amidol in case I will order Lodima.

Markus

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_joe6 View Post
    I'm interested! Count me in!

Now that I think of it, what is the capacity of, say, a liter of an amidol developer? I don't think I've ever gotten to that point, as I've always tossed the developer after a couple hours.
    I (and others) have put enough prints through MAS amidol that I ran out of developer prior to having the developer exhaust itself...somthing like 75 single weight Azo 8x10/liter of developer. It will last 8+ hours in the tray.
    Amidol really is pretty inexpensive when utilzed in this fashion. ($75 worth of paper through $5 of developer)

With the double weight Lodima I expect I will be mixing amidol in 1.5 liter batches...
    Last edited by jgjbowen; 04-26-2009 at 10:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Andrew, I just checked the info received with my Lodima and MAS suggests 3ml Kbr/liter of amidol. This is a change from the 2ml Kbr/liter posted on the Azo forum. Somewhere along the way, MAS increased the Kbr by 50% in order to obtain the print color he preferred from the last batches of Azo. As Shawn has pointed out, different photographers will vary the amount of Kbr slightly in order to effect print color.

Good luck!
    Last edited by jgjbowen; 04-26-2009 at 10:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: splellin'
    John Bowen

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe it was a mistake when Michael wrote 3ml instead of 2ml, if Kbr is mixed in a 10% solution it should be 30ml (3cc) instead of 20ml (2cc)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    I believe it was a mistake when Michael wrote 3ml instead of 2ml, if Kbr is mixed in a 10% solution it should be 30ml (3cc) instead of 20ml (2cc)
    Hey Jan,

Nope, no typo. 3ml is of a 10% solution/liter is correct. If your photo is the White House in a snowstorm 20ml might get your whites bright enough.....of course I believe the blacks will also be paper white with that much restrainer. A 500 ml bottle of 10% Kbr solution should last you for years and years...

After a good friend of mine told me he used 8ml Kbr in his Amidol formula I decided to find out for myself. I was looking for the changes in the print color as the Kbr was increased from 2ml/liter to 4ml, then 6ml, 8ml and finally 10ml. I made prints on Canadian Grade 2 Azo, Rochester Grade 2 Azo, Grade 3 Azo and maybe Lodima. As I got to 10ml, the blacks were about a zone V gray. I discovered that the prints needed much more exposure and or longer development to get to a black in the image. So, how could my friend get decent images with that much Kbr in the formula?

When I contacted my friend to share my results his response was "Oh, you mix your Amidol in 1 liter batches.....I mix mine in 2 liter batches." :o
    Last edited by jgjbowen; 04-26-2009 at 10:10 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: splellin'
    John Bowen

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, You may be right but then the formula on the AZO forum is incorect, 2cc is recomended for the MAS formula and that is 20ml

I do by the way get perfect blacks after 1 minute with the 20ml Kbr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin