Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,057   Online: 995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Processing 120 Film

I'm new to 120 film so this is a really basic (and stupid) question, but I can't find the answer anywhere else.

Is there a standard way to cut 120 film negatives? Like in 35mm, I usually cut them in groups of 5. I was assuming with 120, since its much bigger, I'd cut it down to a single frame, but before I do so, I thought I'd find out if there is an industry standard or preference.

Thanks for the patience and input.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It depends on the size of the frame you've shot and the type of Printfile sleeve you're using. For example, if you're shooting 6x4.5 you might cut in lengths of 4, 6x6 in lengths of 3 etc. Some Printfile sleeves accept negs horizontally, but with some sleeves you insert the negs vertically. Vertical sleeves allow you to add one more frame to your length, just to confuse the issue further

welcome to APUG, by the way.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Images
    Good Morning, Chaung77,

Most people cut 120 to fit the configuration of the plastic negative holders they use. 6 x 6 negatives may be cut into 4 strips of 3 or 3 strips of 4, depending on how the negative holder is designed. 6 x 9 negatives are normally cut into 4 strips of 2. 6 x 7 negatives are a problem because cutting them into 3 strips of 3 leaves one outstanding negative which won't fit onto an 8 x 10 contact sheet; 5 strips of 2 requires a second, partial contact sheet.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or, to be different, you can store your negs in long sleeves. You can buy 1000' rolls of sleeving and store whole rolls this way. Probably not the most common way to store, but still a viable one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In regular 120/220 sleeves:

6x 4,5 4 stripes of 4 negatives
    6x6 4 stripes of 3 negatives

I have no 6x7 or 6x9 camera so I think 6x9 will use 4 stripes of 2 negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot 120 square (6x6 cm) and favor 3 strips of four negs each, which fit in a binder. I prefer the least number of cuts, so the least number of "end cut" negs.

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I initially settled on four strips of three for my 120 film (6x6 format); however, since then I acquired a new film scanner, which has a window that's two frames (120mm) long. Thus, when my current supply of PrintFile sleeves runs out, I plan on switching to three strips of four frames. That should make for slightly easier scanning, since there'll be less futzing with the negatives to scan them. Obviously this isn't an issue for an all-analog workflow, and the details will differ even for different scanners, but it's an issue you might want to consider.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use PrintFile Sleeves designated as "Style No. 120-3HB" in which the sleeves channels are oriented vertically. They hold four 6x6 format or 5 6x4.5 format negatives or 3 6x7 negatives in a single channel.

My 6x4.5 equipment gives me 15 exposures on a 120 roll, so if I'm shooting either 6x6 or 6x4.5, I can fit an entire roll on a single sheet. If I shoot 6x7, I suffer from the dreaded "single extra negative" syndrome.

Matt

P.S. Here is a link to the PrintFile website, which is full of interesting info:

http://www.printfile.com/index.asp

Shooter
    Large Format
    Note that if you are scanning you want to make sure your cut strategy fits the film holder. The Nikon 9000 scanner only takes 3-frame strips.
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If I shoot 6x7, I suffer from the dreaded "single extra negative" syndrome.

Matt

P.S. Here is a link to the PrintFile website, which is full of interesting info:

http://www.printfile.com/index.asp

I hate it when that happens.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin