Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,484   Online: 944

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree about the paper - you will definitely need more to start with, and 8x10 is much more useful.

The rest of the chemistry looks fine (although I'm not familiar with the Ilford Universal developer). With respect to the Kodak Photo-Flo 200 though, I'd ask if you can get a smaller quantity. 16 ounces will last you a very long time unless you develop a lot of film.

To give you an idea, I have a 4 ounce bottle that may be as much as 35 years old.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    With respect to the Kodak Photo-Flo 200 though, I'd ask if you can get a smaller quantity. 16 ounces will last you a very long time unless you develop a lot of film.

To give you an idea, I have a 4 ounce bottle that may be as much as 35 years old.
    Are you re-using your Photo Flo? I've got a 16-ounce bottle that I bought about 2 years ago. I've used about 1/8 of it, and I dilute it more than directed. Put another way: At the suggested dilution (1+200), a 16-ounce bottle (473 ml) produces something on the order of 95 liters of working-strength Photo Flo. If you shoot 35mm film and use 250ml per roll, that works out to about 380 rolls of film. It'd be half that for MF film. At one roll per week, that'll last a bit over 7 years (more like 3.5 years for MF film). That's certainly a long enough time that it's not unreasonable to buy less, but the savings will be small and AFAIK, Photo Flo concentrate lasts more-or-less indefinitely.

That said, there's no harm in buying a smaller quantity, particularly if one's on a tight budget and would rather invest a couple bucks saved on something else -- like more paper!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So you are using approximately 1 ounce per year - the bottle should last 16 years at that rate.

In my case, during a fair number of those years, I was also using workplace or "club" darkrooms, and used their photoflo, for a lot of my film development.

But your point is good!

Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin