Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,033   Online: 884

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

reducing density of negatives

I've got a couple of negatives that ended up with too much contrast to effectively print and need to know if a reducing agent (like Farmers Reducer) will reduce the dense areas in the negative without changing the thin areas much. I don't want to loose shadow detail in the prints by reducing down the highlights. I didn't think it would be possilble to get too high of a contrast negative to print with platinum/palladium, but I've managed to do it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

After processing your pert stuck with what you've got. Further fixing could bleach the negative. Best to try and print it out.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are many different reducers... some are proportional and some are not, just read up on that.

I suppose one other thing you might do is pre-expose your Pt/Pd emulsion.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    I've got a couple of negatives that ended up with too much contrast to effectively print and need to know if a reducing agent (like Farmers Reducer) will reduce the dense areas in the negative without changing the thin areas much. I don't want to loose shadow detail in the prints by reducing down the highlights. I didn't think it would be possilble to get too high of a contrast negative to print with platinum/palladium, but I've managed to do it.
    Dan

Don't use Farmers Reducer. It will make it worse and increase the contrast. If you can't cover the contrast with VC papers, get a proportional or super-proportional reducer. However, most of these chemicals are pretty nasty. Is the negative really worth the effort? For more details, try to find a copy of 'Negative First Aid' by Liam Lawless, which was published in Darkroom User, 1997, issues 3-6.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    Sorry, I overlooked the platinum/palladium part in my first reply. In that case, you might be more interested in a contrast reduction mask, as used for unsharp masking. That will get the contrats out, and only takes the typical brews.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin