Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,334   Online: 1214

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Respooling mp stock

I have a couple of long 35mm mp film rolls. They wont fit into my daylight loader. I've tried respooling some length so it fits but then I have no reliable way of how much film is left and in most cases I get one odd sized roll at the end of small spool. Am I missing something?

I recently got a 16mm cine camera, which accepts up to 30m (100ft) of film while I have 122m rolls. I suppose this is not much of challenge, as I have this flanged daylight spools, but I can fit at most 15m in the developing tank. How can I reliably get 15m spool?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bulk loading movie film stock.

Loading 35mm cassettes: I have some 400 foot [122 meters?] 35mm movie film stock, and I simply spool by hand, ether in a changing bag or in a blackened room. No matter how long or short the big spool, isn't it likely that the last roll will be a non-standard length?

Disadvantage for me: using a daylight loader means the last frame is already exposed, so isn't useful for imaging. It seems the last frame on each cassette is always one I'd really like to have. Swapping cassettes and re-taking works, but only in some situations.

Developing 16mm movie film: I can't help much, except to say that I think there are web fora [a.k.a. forums] for that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry.Manuel View Post
    Loading 35mm cassettes: I have some 400 foot [122 meters?] 35mm movie film stock, and I simply spool by hand, ether in a changing bag or in a blackened room. No matter how long or short the big spool, isn't it likely that the last roll will be a non-standard length?

Disadvantage for me: using a daylight loader means the last frame is already exposed, so isn't useful for imaging. It seems the last frame on each cassette is always one I'd really like to have. Swapping cassettes and re-taking works, but only in some situations.
    Before I had bulk loader I loaded by hand. However I do not have table in my darkroom and a find hand loading, especially from very long rolls (I have two 300m rolls) quite a pain and actual length of film in cassette usually was a suprise for me - I've only knew how long they are when my camera said 'thats it'. I can not imagine how to load in changing bag and have some idea of loaded roll lenght.

As for daylight loader I find the loader part much more important than daylight. I turn off the light while critical part of loading so I don't lose last frame as even with loader I can't pinpoint the length with one frame accuracy. What I find very useful is the crank and couter making clicks enabling me to load without hurting my fingers and have some idea how long the roll is.

Actually I was thinking that someone here has to know some clever tricks I'm missing.

Shooter
    35mm

keep on rolling

Quote Originally Posted by Domin View Post
    I have a couple of long 35mm mp film rolls. They wont fit into my daylight loader. I've tried re spooling some length so it fits but then I have no reliable way of how much film is left
    One out would be to scare up a "S-83" 100ft 35mm spool, or the plastic 35mm microfilm spool. Then you can roll off enough stock to fill that, I don't know about that perverbial "last Roll" as even with the factory bulk film I sometimes get an odd size roll at the end.

(a 36 exposure roll is about 5.5 feet, - 100ft divided by 5.5 is 18.18 so you should expect to get 18 "and a bit" out of 100 ft.)

When I had the problem, I made a small jig which I marked with masking tape with the diameter of the desired roll, and wound the film until it reached the end of the rough spot containing the masking tape. My jig at that time was on a flat board that came from a Kitchen sink cutout, and the film rolls rested on the smooh surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Domin View Post
    I recently got a 16mm cine camera, which accepts up to 30m (100ft) of film while I have 122m rolls. I suppose this is not much of challenge, as I have this flanged daylight spools, but I can fit at most 15m in the developing tank. How can I reliably get 15m spool?
    The 50ft spools for 16mm did exist but are quite rare.

I know when I use a geared rewind that about 41 turns will fill a 100 ft spool. because the amount is logarithmic, I would guess that 12-15 turns would get you close.

(I think my rewind is from the "Hollywood Film company" if it matters.)

Can you measure out 15 feet of dead film or leader? (even processed movies) counting the turns to get that on a spool would give you a good starting point.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin