Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,792   Online: 675

Shooter
    35mm

Efke 25 4x5 Film with XTOL

I'm starting out using a View Camera, never developed film (Shock, horror, I know, but I'm slow starter but fast learner so my wife says)

I going to use Efke 25 PL with XTOL but no idea on development time / temperture ?

Using the BTZS tubes if that helps. Go easy on me, I still trying to get my head around all this terminology.

Thanks,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Does the film not come with a data sheet giving developing times for common developers?

You can google "The Massive Developing Chart". It lists starting times for almost all known
    films and developers.

If you are developing in tubes with continuous agitation, you would reduce your developing times a bit from those posted for small tank development.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Phototone,

No datasheet with the box, (could be inside the box but haven't open it yet, still patching the wee holes in the darkroom)

According to the chart 11mins @ 20C for sheet film. Now the question is, I need to prepare the XTOL as 1+3, Does this mean follow the pack instructions and then dilute the solution with 3 parts water?

Any ideas how much I should reduce the development time for BTZS tubes ?

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...tol&mdc=Search

Thanks
    Gavin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glyons View Post
    Hi Phototone,

No datasheet with the box, (could be inside the box but haven't open it yet, still patching the wee holes in the darkroom)

According to the chart 11mins @ 20C for sheet film. Now the question is, I need to prepare the XTOL as 1+3, Does this mean follow the pack instructions and then dilute the solution with 3 parts water?

Any ideas how much I should reduce the development time for BTZS tubes ?

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...tol&mdc=Search

Thanks
    Gavin
    You need to prepare the Xtol as a Stock solution. Then just before use dilute 1:3, which means dilute 1 part stock with 3 parts water to make a total of 4 parts. For example 10 oz Stock Xtol + 30 oz. Water to make 40 oz. at 1:3 dilution. When you dilute stock solution, you use that diluted developer only once, so just make up your dilute solution in enough volume for one processing run.

Usually a developer recommendation sheet is enclosed INSIDE the box for most brands of sheet film. You will find it (if it is there) when you open the box.

No idea how much to reduce time, I don't process in tubes. Trial and error. You will have to arrive at your own developing time anyway to get optimum results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can find a time for Pan F+ in the BTZS tubes, that would be an excellent starting point for testing Efke 25.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The processing sheet is inside the box. Why X-tol with this film? 99.9% of photogs I know prefer Rodinal with this film. (Even diluting as much as 1:100, and having excellent results). Rodinal lasts literally for years, and gives what most people refer to as "the proper look" for the Efke films.

Of course, shooting 4x5 grain isn't even a concern (to those who knock Rodinal as being too grainy).
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Joe,

I'm a total noob to this, no idea, I'm not sure my supplier (http://www.blende7.at/chemieall.htm) has Rodinal that's why I went with XTOL. I know Doh! Well I suspose I could try developing times of 7, 8, 9 mins first (as 11mins is for a small tray) - I'm guessing here.

At moment I'm putting together a Cambo SF (not exactly field friendly, but the body was given to me as a gift), I've managed to get a Super Angulon 120/8 for it but the lensboard's hole is too small so it's down to the machine shop to make it larger. I'll know tomorrow if I've got a camera that works! oh the joys of it

Gavin

Shooter
    35mm

Update Results

Update: I used Rodinal in the end, 1+12 with the BTZS tubes 4mins @ 25 C

Scanned the negatives with Canon 8600F which is only suitable up to MF so here's a third or so of the image.

Some friends willing to pose

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1+10 or 1+12 Rodinal is only used for emmergency paper developer.
    The regular dilutions for Rodinal as one shot film developer:
    1+25, 1+50 and 1+100.

For Efke 25 the choice for Rodinal is second best but because this developer is worldwide available an easy choice:
    1+25 4:00 min. and 1+50 8:00 min.

The best developer for this reincarnation of the 50's Dr. Schleussner/Adox single layer films is a Beutler A+B developer in dilution 1+1+10.
    Beutler is a high definition developer based on Metol. You will get raisor sharp negatives with this developer. It's invented by Willi Beutler especially for this type of film.

The advantage is sharper negatives then Rodinal and more important you can shoot with box speed.
    Efke 25-50-100 is the perfect match for this developer, as already told Rodinal is the next.

Without going into more detail you can order Beutler or make it yourself:
    Dilution A:
    1g Metol
    5g Sodiumsulfite
    fill up till 100ml (Demi-water)

Dilution B:
    5 g Soda
    fill up till 100ml (Demi-water)

Because this is a very simple formula even beginners can not screw it up.

Note on your photo:
    The contrast is much to high due to a failure in your dilution.
    Make another test for 1+50 (8 minutes) and you will see everything will be much better. And if you want the best try this Beutler recepture it's amazing. I am just processing my Efke 25 in Beutler now but I am using 35mm (Leica-M) and even then I am enlarging to 40x50cm with this film and developer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin