Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,642   Online: 804

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Can you develop colour film in Black and white chemicals?

Titile says it all folks. Just wondering if I can will it come out as black and white? this is kinda what I am looking for

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can develop Ilford's XP2 in B&W chemistry. I use the same timing as HP5. I've wondered myself whether standard color film can be processed that way.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are many many threads on this very subject. In fact, there was one here just about a week ago or perhaps 2 weeks.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes because color film IS B&W film with added ingredients.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Will the results be good (other than XP2): no. The yellow mask will still be in the negative, so Dmin is rather high.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is one colour c41 film with which I am planning some b&w experiments. It is called rollei digibase.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes you can. Density of the negatives won't be great, as your bog standard C41 doesn't have tons of silver in it compared to standard B&W. The density of C41 negs comes mainly from dye clouds formed during processing.

The orange mask of standard colour films can also be a PITA for printing onto standard B&W paper. Maskless films like Digibase, XP2, or reversal films designed for E6 (Or Kodachrome) don't have this problem.
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That said, I was given some 8x10 Kodak color film to develop last week (I was told it was delta 100). I used a Jobo 3005 drum and got a bit worried at the color of the developer when I poured it out!..Wish I could remember the type of film it was...I seem to remember the number being something like 2029.

Beautiful negs...the yellow base made them look a little bit like pyro-stained negatives. Lots of density, clean looking negs except for that yellow color.

I used Ilford Universal PQ developer and some very hefty development.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've had students ignore me and get Kodak 400CN to use in class. They try to develop it in D-76 with very poor results. It has the typical orange mask, and the negatives are very thin and extremely flat in contrast.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I've had students ignore me and get Kodak 400CN to use in class. They try to develop it in D-76 with very poor results. It has the typical orange mask, and the negatives are very thin and extremely flat in contrast.
    Happens regularly here, also...and one of the first things they say is "There is something wrong with the chemicals!"

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin