Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,828   Online: 713

Thread: Photoco bottles

Shooter
    Medium Format

Photoco bottles

I'm looking for clarification here. I read another thread that said I shouldn't use HDPE bottles for developer. I asked why all the photo shops sell bottles for developer that are made of HDPE then. The only response I got was that sometimes the bottles are made of two different plastics and might be ok. I have a dozen of these things and need to know if they are actually safe to use. Of course the store I got them from said yes but now I read different! (This was the same store that told me no one made graded paper anymore, all I could get was multigrade!)

Someone please clarify before I ruin a batch of developer.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HDPE bottles can be used used for developers as stock solution. They are offered for that by the industry (Jobo etc.).

Storing concentrated lye in a HDPE bottle would be something different.
    And the permeability for oxygen is an issue. PET bottles are said to be less permeable. But this will also depend on thickness. Furthermore outside the photographic field there are co-extruded bottles and bottles with certain inner coatings (for beer etc.) on the market. That means that even if a bottle is stated to be of a certain plastic that does not neccessarily mean that it is pure in every case.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin