Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,805   Online: 1007

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW I do live in Texas where the humidity stays medium to low.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While I'm less strict than some folks, I definitely make use of the freezer for the bulk of my stash. A smaller cache stays in the fridge so I can grab and go with it. My refrigerator cache is somewhat larger than it needs to be, but I figure it's okay.

I'm sure some people turnover fast enough it's not an issue, but at the rate I go, my Tri-X stash alone could last me years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
    Has any one ever had a problem with condensation?
    I try to make it happen every time I take film straight from the freezer and put it in the camera as fast as I can, while breathing heavily all over everything as I do. It's become an obsession.

And what are my results: I can't get any condensation to show up in a photograph no matter how hard I try. Zilch. Nada. Nichts. Rien. Niente.

Now and then I post - "Has anyone had damage from condensation, can they post a scan of the damage?" - but never a reply.

My conclusion is that the rule of letting film warm for hours after taking it out of the freezer is an old wive's tale, comparable with waiting 2 hours after eating before going in the water. There may be cases where it has some validity, but in everyday life it's so much balderdash and codswallop.

As to the original question: in my house as much as possible, all the bulk rolls and bricks and all the color, goes in the freezer, the overflow goes in the fridge - there isn't enough room in the freezer for all of it.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 07-21-2009 at 11:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I have one of those small, square fridge/freezers that I used when I moved off to college. The "freezer" is a cubicle in the top right corner. It gets cold enough in that cubicle to freeze water. I make sure the setting for the freezer is cold enough to freeze the condensation.

I keep bottles of chemicals and paper in the fridge part. My luck has been good so far: I havent lost any paper due to developer or fixer spilling. I usually keep the fridge so full that there's not any room for anything to fall over, though

PS. I keep the freezer cold enough to freeze the condensation because one time the "freezer" wasnt cold enough and the frost melted. the cardboard paper boxes absorbed the water, which I'm assuming is the reason my fiber based paper started warping in the plastic bags. I thought I might have ruined the paper, but it works perfectly. It just wont lay flat while I'm putting it in the easel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @ Nicholas

Thanks for the information about lack of condensation. How does the film react at low temperature when exposed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luxikon View Post
    How does the film react at low temperature when exposed?
    It gains speed, but unless you are playing with liquid nitrogen you will never notice it.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That really makes life easier!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey I have some negatives that I believe were damaged in the latent image stage (between exposure and development). I suspect an inadvertent freeze/thaw cycle in the freezer without the film in a protective bag or cannister. I can post a scan of the negatives for comments. It was based on these negatives that I started using a food-vac. I have only been using the food-vac for 9 months so I cannot comment on its efficacy yet.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Hey I have some negatives that I believe were damaged in the latent image stage (between exposure and development). I suspect an inadvertent freeze/thaw cycle in the freezer without the film in a protective bag or cannister. I can post a scan of the negatives for comments. It was based on these negatives that I started using a food-vac. I have only been using the food-vac for 9 months so I cannot comment on its efficacy yet.
    Usually the best thing with exposed film, is to process it at the earliest convenient time. If this is difficult to do most of the time, switch to Ilford XP2 and drop it at the local mini-lab for processing.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only thing that I don't freeze is Polaroid film(it gets ruined). Anything else is frozen until I need it, save for an "emergency" stash in the fridge.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin