Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,555   Online: 802

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Freezer or Fridge?

Quick question:
    Which would be better for film storage? I keep my film in the fridge, and I usually take it out (and sometimes leave it in the hot interior of a car) an hour or so before a photo shoot. I've never used film that's more than a year old. I also use 100 speed film nearly exclusively. So I would assume that storing the film in the fridge is just fine and offers no noticeable benefit over the freezer, yes? It seems to me that storing film in the freezer is impractical for me since I would have to wait for it to thaw before shooting.

Where do we draw the line between freezer and fridge? When storing high speed or IR films? When storing potentially past the expiry date?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just toss everything in the freezer. I don't think it has any real benefits for short term storage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're only ever using film up to a year old, the fridge is fine. Once it gets a few years old, you're much better off using the freezer. It makes sense to have a stash ready in the fridge as it needs less time before you can shoot it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I freeze film that will be in storage for an indeterminate duration. Like bulk rolls of Tech Pan. The fridge only holds my kodacrome, and IR that I could use at anytime. Everything else is in a bag on on a shelf.

If you have a log of turnover I would recommend NOT to put in the fridge! ( plain old B&W file we are talking here )
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has any one ever had a problem with condensation?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've always stored long-term items (Polaroid, colour reversal, some black & white readyload packs) in a freezer and never had condensation problems. I always let them come to room temperature for around 24 hours in their original wrapping (or plastic containers if 35mm cassettes).

I've even stored big rolls of Fujicolor Pictrography paper in the freezer and had no problems provided that sufficient defrost time is allowed.
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Microwave Oven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too store in the freezer and allow 24hrs to warm up. (Long term storage.) For short term, I store in the fridge.
    Haven't had a problem with this method and have been using it for 20 years.

- Nanette
    www.nanettereid.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I store in the cellar. Basement temperature is about 10-15 Celcius, that's cool enough I think to avoid problems. I never stored in a freezer, I really wonder if that's not a source of problems?
    I lived 10 years in tropical Asia and had problems a couple of times when leaving air-conditionned buildings, not with the films but with camera mirrors showing the "bathroom effect". Had to wait 15-30 minutes before the viewfinder got back to normal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For short term storage or for films that are not going to expire soon, use the fridge. But, for film that are going to expire soon, I would use the freezer.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin