Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,074   Online: 970

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

8x10 FP4 Plus and Microdol-X Questions.

I have a 1 litre size package of Kodak Microdol-X which I mixed yesterday which I want to use for processing the 4 sheets of FP4 Plus (E.I.80) that I used today. I am considering using this developer diluted either 1+2 or 1+3 for Jobo rotary processing in a 2850 print-drum.
    Does anyone have any guide times for these dilutions at 24*C ?
    I usually use D-76, but thought I would try the MX.

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot 35mm film (Delta 100, FP4+, Acros 100) and always process those listed in MX diluted 1+3 at 74-75 degrees for 18 minutes and get beautiful results in stainless steel tanks. I have never used the Jobo system, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm View Post
    I shoot 35mm film (Delta 100, FP4+, Acros 100) and always process those listed in MX diluted 1+3 at 74-75 degrees for 18 minutes and get beautiful results in stainless steel tanks. I have never used the Jobo system, however.
    That seems to be about right. The times I have from the Ilford data sheet for FP4 Plus in Microdol-X are: 15 minutes in stock solution and 23 minutes when diluted 1:3 at 20*C.
    For Ilford Perceptol which is similar to Kodak Microdol-X, the data sheet suggest 12 minutes stock, 15 minutes for 1+1 and 21 minutes for 1+3 at 20*C.
    Due to the lower volume of processing solutions required for drum processing, I was thinking about using a 1+2 dilution at 24*C instead. I just need to figure out a guide time for 1+2 at 24*C to start with. Perhaps I should take the times for Perceptol diluted 1+1 and 1+3 at 20*C and average them and then use their temperature conversion chart. Any suggestions are welcome.

Shooter
    Large Format
    "Any suggestions are welcome."

You might want to run a few test sheets first, diluted dev. + limited volume = flat H&D curve (no highlights). The developer just runs-out of gas and can not produce densities above X. This was a very effective method used to produce 'highlight/shadow' masks for color separation work, the shoulder could be placed exactly where needed.

Have fun with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phfitz View Post
    "Any suggestions are welcome."

You might want to run a few test sheets first, diluted dev. + limited volume = flat H&D curve (no highlights). The developer just runs-out of gas and can not produce densities above X. This was a very effective method used to produce 'highlight/shadow' masks for color separation work, the shoulder could be placed exactly where needed.

Have fun with it.
    May be I should use 1+1 instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I processed the films using the 1:3 dilution at 20*C for 21 minutes. The negatives look a touch dense, but with good shadow detail. I will contact print them later.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin