Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,208   Online: 973

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Damaged SS reels?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    In another thread, I learn that some of the difficulties that I have had loading 120 roll film onto stainless reels might, at least partially, due the reels that I am using. I have difficulty keep the film the track through the entire roll and consequently end up with half moons on the developed film. Has anyone else had this problem? Have new reels helped? What brand of reel do you like?

Thanks,

Jay
    If you have troubles loading a stainless steel reel, it could be because top and bottom of the reel are not absolutely parallel. Could be that the reel has been dropped at the floor at some time?

j-fr

www.j-fr.dk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j-fr View Post
    If you have troubles loading a stainless steel reel, it could be because top and bottom of the reel are not absolutely parallel. Could be that the reel has been dropped at the floor at some time?

j-fr

www.j-fr.dk

Excellent question. The reels had not be used for thirty years (they had not been used since I was in high school). After some careful measurements, they are fine still parallel, square, and no bends. I also tested with a roll of film and found that my problems arise with getting the film equally spaced between the top and the bottom. If I get the film spaced equally, I do not have any problems. I find that I have problems getting it spaced correct and then captured with the wire spring mechanism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Yup; and with grain the size of bowling balls. Now it would be very "in" because it is "artsy." I wonder if your Anscochrome is still visible? Mine gave up the ghost years ago.
    Last time I looked, they were pretty good. A little faded, sure, but still there. Of course, they've been in the dark most of these years and have been projected only a few times.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After a long hiatus, I'm getting back into black and white film processing. I have my old Kalt SS reels and tanks for 120. I'm struggling with re-learning how to put film into the reel. I'm doing it in daylight for the moment and I can't get the film into the reel without the film being in the wrong track or kinked.

I'm squeezing the roll with my right hand while turning the reel with my left.

I have a feeling these are just growing pains and I should do a lot more practice before processing an important roll.

After seeing Hewes mentioned, I remembered being told about those reels and they are superior to Kalt. Checking the photo I found online, it looked very similar to my Kalt reels. Is the price difference worth replacing my Kalt reels with Hewes?

Thanks!

Navy Moose
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
    CAPT. John Parker, Massachusetts Militia. 19APR1775

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can only speak for Hewes reels in the 35 mm. size. They are far superior to the other brands of stainless steel reels of various manufacture that I've used in that size by a wide margin.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    These reels and tanks are marketed under a number of different brand names. Most frequently I've found them under the "AP" brand.
    Matt
    AP Photoplastics is the source for many products that we use in analog photography. In fact they make a lot of the film packaging that is used fro various brands of film.

The tanks are made in two versions, and so are the reels. I find the "classic version is handier for 135 but the new version which for some reason they call "compact" is a big help with 120.

http://www.apphoto.es/ap_products/do..._espirales.htm

Freestyle, Frugal Photographer and others sell these. Last time I checked Frugal had a close-out on the "classic" style reels.

if you look though the AP site you will probably see at least a few items in your own darkroom collection.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin